1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crab isn't eating!

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by LolaGranola, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

:dontknow:

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Hermits actually eat very little, so you may not notice that there is actually food missing from the dish. Remember that crabs are nocturnal, so he may be eating while you are sleeping. Some hermits like to dine privately!!! :icon_smile:

3. a way to tell if they are eating is to smooth out the substrate around the dish. If there are little "footprints" around it in the morning, they are getting to the food. If after a few days there are still no footprints, try giving a different type of food (fresh is always best, like fresh fruit, or for more options see epicureanhermit.com). Sometimes it takes a while for them to realize that something is food! :laughing7:

4. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Sometimes crabs eat things that you don't consider food. For instance, they might be munching on driftwood or cholla climbing toys that you may have in the tank. Coconut huts, sea sponges, coral, seashells, moss, eco-earth, and sand are all things that can become sources of food for crabs.

They eat small amounts so don't worry that they're not getting enough to eat unless they are polishing off every bit of food that you leave out for them every night.

Food particles needs to be in small enough pieces that the crab can grasp it, so some hard foods need to be crushed or mashed. I like to feed neatly cubed apples or sliced mangos and look for pincer marks along the smooth edges in the morning just to prove to myself that they are at least taste testing what I'm feeding. New foods from the safe food list can be introduced by drizzling honey over them. Crabs can't resist honey!

5. Yup Everyone is right. Crabs do eat very little. My Crabs eat at night time, but i sneak to watch them eat. I just think its amazing to me :icon_thumleft:

6. CrabE

CrabE Guest

Hermit crabs aren't big eaters anyway, so you shouldn't worry too much. Hermit crabs are nocturnal, so he/she may be eating overnight. Don't fret too much!!! :toothy11:

7. ebirah

ebirah Guest

Oh, that's a relief for me too, I'll check and see if my crab has eaten tomorrow. thanks

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can try the popcorn trick to see if they are eating. Air pop some popcorn( no salt or butter) and place in the tank. I always put in a pile of it. Hot fresh from teh air popper and they come out!

9. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

Vikki, what pop corn do you use? where can i get it?

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

I get organic kernals from Whole Food Market. I have to go there soon, if you want some let me know and I will send ya some for the crabbies :cheesygrin:

11. ebirah

ebirah Guest

YAY! my crab has been eating! :partyhat4: I set out a little assortment of treats last night, and one of the large cracker pieces was gone! :hello2:

12. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

YAY! that's great. Thanx Vik, i will check around here first. if i can't find it i will come to you. :thanks:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.