1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Crab is inactive and won't eat!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Obsequity, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obsequity

Obsequity Hi, I'm New Here!

I bought my first two hermit crabs on Sunday May 27. One of them (Harvey) is very inactive and won't eat no matter what I serve her. (dried baby shrimp, banana, hermit crab food, peanut butter, etc....) All she does is crawl into the flowerpot in the tank or hide in a corner. Today was the first time she actually came out of her shell and crawled around on the coffee table. I'm pretty worried (Not to mention stressed out) about Harvey's not eating, and I hope someone can help me. She does drink water every now and then though, and I've wondered if she is going to molt but I don't think so. I'm more worried about her getting ready to die. Please help!

2. newcrabber

newcrabber "Never Molted"

Hey, I'm new at this too. I have been crabbing for 1 week. I have learned that you need to give them time to destress. Mine have also been inactive, but after 1 week, they are starting to move around more and eat and drink. Just give them time. This Post Purchase Stress thing takes them awhile to get through. Read up on that and you will understand. I hope I answered this OK. Like I said, I'm new too.

3. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Yeah, just give them some time to adjust. And throw out the "hermit crab food", it's no good for them. Feed high energy/high nutrient foods such as the shrimp, spirulina powder, honey, hard-boiled egg yolk. And don't worry if they don't eat much, they may even bury for a while to de-stress. It's better not to handle them much during the first month so that you don't further stress them.

4. BestPet

BestPet "Never Molted"

Sounds like she needs to adjust to the new enviroment sometimes it can take a while. Make sure there is plenty of shells Harvey can change into and make sure the humidty and temp is correct.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

When you first purchase hermit crabs it is recommended to leave them alone for atleast a month. Only go into the tank to add food and water. They need to destress and could possibly molt and they need to be left alone during this stressful time. I know it's hard to have a pet that you cant interact with, but in order to give them the best chance at survival you should definately pracitce this.
    Make sure all your gauges are calibrated and in the correct ranges. Give high protein foods, dechlorinated fresh and salt water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.