1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mulberry

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Shelia, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

I have read on another hermit crab site that mulberry fruit and leaves are safe for hermit crabs, they list lots of "Harvestables", they are listed as unsafe here. There is a hugh tree where I grew up and could get all I wanted. Are things tried here and possible can go from unsafe to safe?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know I asked Julia Crab about the leaves one time. I had found a seller on Ebay who was selling the leaves and was thikning of getting them. She stated that the only known insect to eat the leaves were silkworms as they built up an immunity to the leafs toxins. She listed them on the unsafe list for that reason.

The fruit is edible.

I found this on Wiki
    "Unripe fruit and green parts of the plant have a white sap that is intoxicating and mildly hallucinogenic.[1]"
    Morus (plant) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't personally feed them the leaves, but it's my choice. You have to make a choice for your crabs, and thats totally up to you.

3. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

I was mostly concerned about the mulberry fruit as I can get all the maple and oak leaves I want. I will try the mulberries when they rippen. I am guessing that any fruit can be frozen and then given to them, even if they get mushy. Thanks Vickie!

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

They can defiantely be frozen! Best way is to freeze them on a cookie sheet for like an hour or two. Once they are hardened you can put them in a freezer bag and take some out whenever you want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.