1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOSS

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mckenny, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:sad4: HARMFUL for hermit crabs :sad4:

Spanish Moss can harbor bugs and is treated
    with pesticides. It is not a true moss but an air plant
    that absorbs calcium and moisture from the air.

Cypress is a conifer with wood/needles that are
    toxic to crabs when ingested.
    Depending on the species of cypress,
    some have toxic properties, among them arsenic.

Beaked Moss provides a Realistic Setting for Reptiles and Amphibians
    Completely Natural (no dyes or chemicals)
    But, it is harvested from coniferous rain forests of
    Oregon which is toxic to hermit crabs.

Sphagnum PEAT Moss
    "Don't confuse sphagnum moss with sphagnum peat moss. Sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss are not the same product. Sphagnum moss is used in the floral industry to line wire baskets and make wreaths. It is the LIVING moss that grows on top of a sphagnum bog. Sphagnum peat moss is used as a soil conditioner by gardeners. It is the dead material that accumulates in the lower levels of a sphagnum bog. Harvesters of the horticultural peat moss remove the top few inches of the live sphagnum moss before harvesting the peat from the lower levels of the bog.

:icon_flower: SAFE to use for hermies :icon_flower:

Hiawatha moss

Sphagnum moss (NOT sphagnum PEAT moss)

Frog moss

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Whew, thanks Mckenny! We're always getting confused on these. :oops:

3. imported_peach

imported_peach "First Molt, A Success"

*gets upset* DARN!!! I have to return the moss cause it's beaked moss *sigh*

4. sayde15

sayde15 Hi, I'm New Here!

Can you the store bought brand Flukers all natural moss. I got it at the pet store. It is used for frogs and snakes?? Wanted to try it but was scared after reading this! Please help....Thanks

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Does the packaging say what type of moss it is? Or do you have a link to it online? That would help with determining what you bought.

6. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

I looked up flukers moss at drsfostersmith.com, and they have 2 different types of "Flukers All Natural Moss". One is Spanish Moss (which is not good for your hermies) and the other is what they call Green Moss. I'm assuming the "Green Moss" is frog moss, but I don't know if I would use it without knowing for sure.

7. sayde15

sayde15 Hi, I'm New Here!

I looked it up on the web as well and found it to be safe. I have a friend who has been using it with her crabs for sometime and no problems. I noticed the post and started to second guess myself. I know for sure it is not spainish moss. All it says is all natural moss use with frogs and snakes, keeps water really well. No mold or smell. I put small amount in a bowl to soak and it smells and looks fine. I will do more research before introducing it to my crabs (22). My son (7 year old)would be devastated if something happened to his pets. Thanks for all the replies and research! I love this site! :)

8. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

How often do you replace your moss?

9. Mckenny

I change mine out around every two to three months. I keep it fluffed up and turned over and moist enough. If it starts to look ratty and dull, that's when I'd change it. But that's what works for me... :flower:

10. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

sphagnum moss can also harbor bugs so I'd check for small white grains before putting it in your tank, it took me a month last time they infested and i had to do a huge cleaning. They can hide in your crabs shells so if they by chance do, just wash out their shells.

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I just use the cheep floral moss from wallmart.

12. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

What about the 'green moss' in the floral dept in wal mart. Its next to the 'floral' moss. Is it the same thing and safe??

13. Mckenny

If I remember correctly, that one has been color enhanced by green dye. I wouldn't take a chance on it if it were me. Dyes can be toxic to the Hermie's. :flower:

14. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks=) just wanted to double check

15. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

MOSS MOSS MOSS MOSS MOSS MOSS MOSS! why can't I ever remember MOSS! I go to Walmart at least once a week!
    here is something that I did do, my grapevine I have the ends that are always stuck in the e.e. or sand are getting that green mold looking stuff on them, well i scrubbed the heck out it, dried it then bought those glass half round candle holders and stuck the ends in it, if they won't stay in it you can jam rock or marbles down the insides to stabilize it and then I piled biger rock on the outsides to hide the holders. wala they stay cleaner and they don't fall over as easy!

16. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

That is why I use wild grapevine. It doesnt mold near as fast. In fact I've never had it mold.

17. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

botaniacal floral is what my bag says I got from wal mart, for crafts. Has 3 sunflowers on bag. cost about 2$ not pure green, but has some green stuff in it. Is this the right stuff? What if anything do I do to it before I put it in my tank?

18. Mckenny

That's the one I use Scoobdoo, and have been for a while now. I take a large microwave container and put the moss in and cover it with my salt water mixture.
    I push it down into the water to make sure it gets covered good, then I microwave it on high for a minute to a minute and 20 seconds. Let it sit because it will be HOT!

If I'm using two or more bags, I use the same water and just add some more to cover. :flower: