1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molts in progress

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Roach, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

Well I am pretty sure I have 2 molts going on now. 1 of my little guys has been down for a week and the other small one has been down for about 4 days. Sometimes I look in there expecting to see 4 of them and I only see 2 and I get worried. I finally got my 20 gallon long tank and EE. When my 2 molters come up should I switch them over to the new tank or wait. I was gonna wait for awhile to switch the other 2 until it was time for a deep clean maybe in a month or so.

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Best of luck!

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you have your 20 long all set up and ready to go, I would put your crabbies who aren't molting in there. That way if they decide to molt before these molters come up, you won't have to wait even longer to get everyone into their new home. :)

4. Roach

Thanks for the idea Mckenny ! I usually do stuff the hard way but you gave me advice before I did. Yeah I will put the 2 non-molters in the new tank and wait for the ones molting to come up and make sure they are fine.

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I've got hermies that just love to stay underground but they are not molting. I think they have some secret meetings going on.
    If you can watch for them at night. Shut the lights off in the room and use a small flash light to check for them coming up periodically. They just maybe coming up at night while you are asleep.

6. Roach

I try and keep an eye on them. Where they are buried doesnt seemed to be touched that much. I am a night owl so I usually stay up till about 3 or 4 am. I havent seen any signs of them coming up, and Pinky was the one always climbing. Now my other 2 are the lazy ones that hide in the hut and just come out at night to eat and run around a little bit. Of course I bought a hemp net and nobody has even touched it once.

7. WizKidsMom

They are good tunnelers. They go down in one place and up in another.

As for the hemp net - did you 'wash' it in salt water before putting it in the tank? Spraying it with water helps as well. They will start using it eventually.

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I agree with Mckenny. Thats what I do when I upgrade or downgrade.

9. Roach

Wizkidsmom- No I didnt wash my hemp net in salt water, Should I? I washed it in DC water but then let it dry and stuck it in. Should I re-wash in Salt and put it in sort of wet?? Ive tried looking through the bottom and back of my tank but I cant find my guys. They better be down there molting ad not hiding from me. The 2 down are the ones from Petsmart that were in gravel. I figured they would molt first. The other 2 I got from a local store that had them in deep EE in better conditions.

10. WizKidsMom

Those two that are down are probably de-stressing. Leave them be for a while. They are probably saying "Is this place for real?"

I have dipped everything in salt water for my guys. Even their shells. When I do a cleaning, I dip again in hot salt water and allow it to cool before putting it back in the tank. The salt water gives it a more 'like home' smell to them.

And just as a reminder: it is aquarium salt for salt water fish that should be used. Not table salt or sea salt.

11. Roach

Yeah I have the oceanic salt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.