1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molting ??

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by speedytweety, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedytweety

speedytweety Hi, I'm New Here!

I hope someone is available to give me a little advise tonight. This is really bothering me....
    I moved 2 of my PP to a new iso this evening because they looked so much like they were in premolt, all the signs and both digging down today. Keep in mind I have just had 2 other PP molt within the last 10 days and both were a complete surprise, up until then I have had no molts and had most of the crabs 8 months, so I am not exactly an expert at what the signs look like but from what everyone describes they fit the bill. Well anyway, ever since these 2 guys have been in iso they seem really agitated about it!! They are constantly trying to climb the side and keep scraping their shells against the glass. Reminds me of my cat meowing at the door to be let in and I would never NOT open the door for her!! I have them in a 5 gallon KK with a divider to separate them so floor space is small to say the least, but it is set up with their fav. substrate, humidity is 80%, temp at 76~I know there is nothing wrong with the environment except size which shouldn't matter in iso as long as it is deep~they just aren't digging. So my problem is whether to keep them safe as is, even though they seem miserable, or do I make them happy and risk a main molt again? I really would be very upset if I made the wrong decision and one died of either stress from being so upset, or from being dug up and eaten by a friend! Please advise, this is quite a pickle for me...

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

My general practice is to not ISO any of my crabs unless they are new, sick or naked (or perhaps going to/have topside molt). All of my molts have occurred in the main tank and there have been over 30 something successful ones to date. I have had crabs bury down right next to each other with no problems. The remaining tank mates have never attempted to dig anyone up either. I also do not bathe them post molt or use any dividers.

They will do what comes naturally to them if given the chance and are left alone. I also believe that they establish a spot for molting in the main tank. Perhaps scouting it out well in advance. By moving them to another tank completely, must be somewhat confusing for them. Unless you are experiencing aggression from the other crabs, I would leave them in the main tank. You can always change your mind. However, I do have to add that many crabbers who have a lot more time under their belt (which is not to say they are better crabbers mind you LOL) have had success with ISOing their molters. It is really a personal decision you must make.

I did not like "guessing" that they might be molting and moving them only to move them back a few days later. And, I refuse to have 30 or more ISO tanks scattered around my house! Perhaps it is time for crab care to evolve a bit. Too much interference on our part must have some negative effect on them.

There are a lot of factors that may have an impact on why this works for me, but they are all purely speculation on my part. I am certainly no crab biologist, but I think I've done pretty well by my crabbies. [​IMG]

3. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm new to crabbing, but remember a wise member describing the crab "agitation" that you wrote about... apparently, some crabs show lethargic pms signs and others show extremely agitated signs. I think it was described as looking like they wanted to "crawl out of their skin"... understandably so. Just a thought. Best of luck... please keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Wendy, I have also been letting my crabs molt in the main tank(thanks to you) and in the past 2 months I have had 11 successful molts.

5. speedytweety

speedytweety Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much for the advise. The crabs decided for me this morning. Bubba was dug down this morning and has been down ever since. Tank was on top looking miserable so I put him back in main where he promptly snuggled down. He has since been happily cruising, "tanking" up on food and visiting the salt water pond freqently, antenae briskly waving at me, looking so much better! I took the iso divider out too which makes me feel better about keeping bubba in iso-I do not think it was a good move on my part, the 5g is way too small for a divider!! Maybe I can use it for something else, hmmm. My Molted one Rocky is doing wonderful, climbing everywhere now, eating drinking and checking out shells. His complete molt from dig down to resurfacing took only about 2 weeks-his exo was completely eaten though, I didn't find anything left but crumbs!! He is much smaller now, and a different color though and looks very light, I hope thats okay. I haven't picked him up or bothered him in any way since he has been up, I guess its smart to give him more time but I want to feel how hard his exo. is now! They are all so active this time of night, its so hard to go to bed because I want to stay up and watch them, grrrr but I am getting grouchy from staying up so late crabby watching!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.