1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by lighteningbee, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lighteningbee

lighteningbee Hi, I'm New Here!

OK all Crunchy is down for his (this is my first molt too lol) first molt. My question is do they normally change shells before a molt? I went to feed them last night and one of my guys had buried himself in his hermie hut... it looks kind of cute with the sand all piled up blocking the door [​IMG] I then noticed that he had changed shells before going under. Is this how molting works?
    Thanks in advance

2. ginny girl

ginny girl Hi, I'm New Here!

hi! lighteningbee

I am not a expert, I have only been a happy [​IMG]crab ower for about 3 mo. I have 5 crabs and Sebastian has changes both time he has molted.3 of them have change after they have molted. Pinky my littles one, the first time he changed after. But he just burried again on 12/23/05 and he changed before he burried. So i guess what I am trying to say is that i guess it depends on each crab.

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Yes, that has been my experience too -- it just depends on the crab! It's not uncommon for a crab to show an interest in new shells right before or right after a molt, but I have some that show no interest in changing, ever, and a couple who cannot walk by a shell without checking it out! [​IMG]

4. lighteningbee

lighteningbee Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks all! I just thought they would change after... I guess it is just a preferance. Also I bought new shells this weekend (about 8 lol) and one or all of my guys must have had a field day with them. Everyone had been turned around and had sand in them lol I guess someone enjoyed them... even if nobody is currently wearing a new one! This crabs are something else!

5. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

From my experience, my molters never seem to want to change shells. The times my guys change shells is sporadic, but some are stubborn and cling to the old, too small shells (my ladybug is that way) and others cannot walk by a shell without playing dress up and trying it on for size. It is an individual crabby thing.

6. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

No, they don't have to change shells before molting. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.