1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Person, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

This morning i woke up and my hermit crab looks like it just molted. So how long does molting take????? [​IMG]

2. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

The crab is about the size of a nickle. I never had a hermit crab this small so I dont know. I usually have hermit crabs the size of tennise balls or so.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Molting actually occurs in 4 phases. The pre-molt, molt, post molt and the intermolt phases all differ depending on the size and age of the crab. Younger, smaller crabs molt much quicker than older, larger crabs.

During the pre-molt phase, the crab stores water and food for the upcoming task at hand. The actual process of separating the old exo from the new integument or "skin" underneath takes around 3 and a half hours according to Biology of the Land Crabs. The post-molt phase is when the crab rapidly grows and begins to harden-it is during this time that he will eat the shed exo for extra calcium. The time in between molt periods is known as the inter-molt phase and can be any where from a few days up to two years depending on the crab.

Now with all of that said LOL, did your crab bury under the substrate or is s/he pulling a topside molt? Or did you discover a freshly molted (pink/soft) crab?

My crabs that are around that size have buried, molted and resurfaced in about 18-25 days. I do have one little bugger that is pretty quick and finishes in less than 14 days.

4. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

No it didnt bury it self and im a little worried.

5. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

I didnt pick it up it was just lying there with its exo beside it I knew this was a molt in process.

6. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

I Also have a hermit crab that is very sluggish. I never see it move. Many people say they see there hermit crabs come out during bath time but I never see it come out of its shell at bath time. Its the latest addition to my clan. I worried about it. Any help!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

What kind of crab is it, and what size? Also what is your temp at? I notice more activity in my tank when its warmer, and also when I have offered fresh fruits.

8. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Its a PP its about the size of tennis ball a little smaller than that. My temp is a little more than 80 degrees. I offer freash food like vegies and fruit every night. THe humidity is also a little over 80%. All my other crabs are okay but not him.

9. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

The bigger crabs tend to be a bit less active than the little guys. Someone else once posted that it is like having an 80 year old man or woman LOL in your tank. They just don't have the pep that the youngun's do.

It is also very possible that he/she is pre-molt. My jumbos were both pre-molt and sluggish for a good 4 months before they buried and got down to business. After they buried, it took 2 full months for them to resurface.

Tabitha is about the same size as your hermie and she doesn't really set the tank on fire even after her molt[​IMG]

10. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

I have another PP which is bigger Than that crab and he is very active. [​IMG] OHH and i only offer natural shells. I feel that in the wild hermit crabs dont have the choice of having painted shells only natural shells. I like to give them a natural feel to their home!!!

11. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

I just lost a crab [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . So now I have to get another ruggie to replace him so his friend doesnt get lonesome. He was very old so i think it was his time..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Didnt know he was dead until to day i was changing the water and inspecting everything when i notice the dead look.... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.