1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by crabbie, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbie

crabbie Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi just wanting to know if the crabs are molting for the first time does it take longer and what is the average for molting and do they move or stay in one place ?????. please help first time crab owners.:confused:

crabbie:)

2. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

Hello, Welcome, my first molt has been down for almost 3 months now, I found his exo under one of my other crabs, I swear my molter is moving under the FB or, one of my crabs move him. They can take awhile for them to molt. I hope mine comes up nice and healthy.:) Just leave them alone until they come up themselves. Just to let you know, some people say that if they die you will smell a fishy smell. I don't know if it is because some people just use play sand. I have half play sand and half FB, I just recently discovered my smallest PP had died under the FB, and no fishy smell in the tank, just when I brought him up, he smelled fishy. I don't have very much advice cause I'm still a little new here. Alot of people on this site have some good advice, just do what you feel is right in your heart;)
    mybtrflys3 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hi Crabbie! Molting depends a lot on their size. The little ones usually molt faster than the bigger ones. I have just finished my third successful molt, the second for Batman. The first time he was under for 5 weeks. The second time he was under for almost 4. Don't forget though, just because it's their first molt with you doesn't necessarily mean it is their first molt in total. Daisy, who is smaller than Batman went down for 6 weeks. She seems to be preparing for a second molt now so it will be intersting to see how long she stays. She recently went down for 2 days but came back up. Now she's down again.

As for moving or staying in place, from what I understand they can and do move around. I have read that the actual process of molting actually only takes a few hours, but it is the preparation before and the post-molt hardening and eating their exo after that causes them to be down for so long!

Fishy smell does not permeate through playsand if the crab is buried. Not sure about any other kind of substrate though. As JTSWIFE said, do not touch them or disturb them while they are under. If you have patience and do as little as possible in the tank during that period, your chances of a successful molt are much better! Good luck with your crabbies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.