1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting vs de stressing???

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by hot ball, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

I got two new hermit crabs last Thursday. Well, I didn't, my husband and chidlren did. By the time I got home from work one of them was gone under. I have not seen her yet at all, no sign of her, no movement, no sand disturbed where i think she is. The other one has been up and down, mostly under the sand but I have seen him in the water dish and food dish so I am not worried about him. But the one I did not get a chance to check out has not eaten or drank in 4 days, I didnt get to see her to check her out and make sure she looked OK. How di I know if she is under there molting?? I know you are supposed to isolate them if they are molting, but if I can't see her I can't tell and I think the other one who has been under for a day now is in the same general area, but not sure. If she were dead woudl I smell it through the sand, it is pretty deep??

Any tips would be appreicated. Thanks, Sharyn

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hi Hot Ball. Chances are she is destressing, but you never really know until she comes back up. Best not to handle or disturb them too much for the first month. I was always worried about mine not eating when I first got them too, but just keep offering them food and a different variety and they should be fine. I have learned that they can go a long time without!

If a crab was under and passed, you would not smell it.

As for ISOing a molter, I think that is more of a matter of opinion. I haven't ISO'd my two at all and have now had two successful molts. Also, going digging for a buried crab can cause a lot more harm then good, especially a molter. I would say, personally, the only reason to ISO is (a) if it is molting topside and was at risk of being attacked by another crab or (b) if it is under and there is another crab that just won't leave it alone and again, is at risk for being attacked.

Bascially, all we can do is have A LOT of patience!

Hope this helps!

3. wickedannabella

wickedannabella (Micro Crab)

Hey there! Seems every time I bring home a new crabbie (especially the little ones) they go down to "destress" and come up molted! lol

I got Bonnie & Clyde as pity purchases at Wal-Mart (The horrible CRAB IN A CUP) but they were so wanting out and trying to get my attention that I just HAD to! Both burrowed down immediately and about a month later came back up fuzzy and with long toe-nails!

:D

Just keep an eye on things, and while you may not see the sand disturbed, if they're small enough, sometimes they move and you don't know it! Bob, my PP traveler, is AWESOME at stealth burrowing!

4. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

Thank you. I will continue to try and be patient. One of the new guys came up last night and is now hidden again. But, at least I got to see him. The other one, still no sign. We will wait and see.

5. wickedannabella

Anything further???

6. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

Nothing further yet. IT has been about 16 days. My worry is that he is down there molting and my other one is in the same area....what if he is eating the exo on him! I have no way of knowing what is going on, I will try by looking under the glass, maybe at least I will be able to get an idea where he is. I just feel bad I can't "protect" my little mystery crabbie if I can't find him!

7. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I wouldn't think the worst. They are new and they have a lot of destressing to do. It's very common for crabs to dig down when they first arrive in a new crabitat. Sometimes they do molt. I've nevver had one crab prey on another in this instance, and I don't iso my molters. Just let nature do as its supposedto . Good luck and keep us posted.

8. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

dont worry your crabbie will probably come up molted! just make sure you have fresh food and water so when he does come up he will have good food!

9. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Just try and relax ive been through that a few times the longest ive had one down is 3 weeks n i had had him for 4 months already he didnt molt just try and taking it easy and if you really want to see were he is pull your tank out and look underneath mine always leave little windows on the bottem for me to check up on them!

10. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

RELAX! the crab will be fine. I've had a hermie under the soil molting for almost three months once. My crab came up molted recently.

11. Itsy

just wondering how your crabbie is doing??

12. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

No news yet...it has been 4 weeks today (feels like 4 months) I still have not seen any movement at all. I am not sure where this little guy is. The other one I got at the same time as this one went under 2 weeks ago and has not been back up, but he dug down in the corner and made a cool little window for himself, so I can kinda see him. He is still moving around down there, not sure what he is doing, but he seems OK.

I am jsut trying to be patient about pinky (the one I have not even seen yet).
    Thanks for asking!

Sharyn

13. wickedannabella

An update on my poor little Gwen. She's been down a month (She dug down the MINUTE she got in the tank) and she occassionally opens a window for me (then closes it again) so I know she's still with us. I think the more they go through getting to us, the more they need to destress. I've had some crabs who never needed to destress (like my Bob) and others just never seem to get over it. Sadly, I usually wind up losing those crabs.

14. Itsy

Ive only ever had 1 crab that needed to destress. N last night i noticed nut job has a molting sac so i put her in iso and this morning shes dug down and i think shes molting i also have SA in there because he was acting weird adn it seemed like he was molting but not hes just dug into the hut and built a door with the sand i dunno he might be molting in his little bubble. The only thing is is i cant seem to find were Nut Job dug down and my Iso is only a 2 gallon plastic tank! I cant see her underneath or along the sides but i know she couldnt have gotten out because its a snap lid. Well i hope shes doing ok aswell as SA and bitsy is still down.

15. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

I never new they have to destress when you bring them home but, thanks to all of you, you have helped me alot. Five of mine are molting or destressing for about two weeks now. I have had one die on me. I was so eager to touch and hold them that, I didn't know that they really need to destress. As well, I am learning too. I now don't bother them. I bought one a week ago and I totally leave him alone. I wonder if he is lonely cause all the others are under.:D
    mybtrflys3 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

16. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

RELAx! ZZZZZZZZZZZZ :) Your crab should be fine.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

18. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

TY vckums for the info, I needed that.:)

19. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

I just need to know at what point should I go digging for my lost hermit crab. She is small -medium sized and has been down for 7 weeks 5 days. Others have gone down and come back up after molting already in that time. I think anohter of my hermies is going to start molting soon, and won't be able to dig around for my lost one after he goes down. Should I keep waiting or look now while all the others are up? any input will be greatly appreicated! thanks Sharyn

20. Itsy

Id wait 4 months personally cause it can take a long time but if he is small that is a little bit strange just wait 3-4 months before doing anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.