1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting... Problem or Not?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by deege39, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Okay, my guy finished his first molt, he came up out of the sand yesterday, and went to his old shell... I kept an eye on him all evening, and I went to sleep around 11PM last night, this morning I wake up at 7:30 and he was out of his shell. He was behind the climbing net... He was still alive and feisty, so I scooped him up and put him in ISO. I put his old shell in there, the one he came out of, then I put other shells in there... There's plenty of sand, salt-water and food with plenty of calcium. I've been checking on him periodically and he's still in his shell. (I placed him in the food dish.) He's still in the food dish and it looks like he's eating... (He's still in his shell.) Does it sound like there's a problem?

Here's the questions I've answered:
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    Since March of this year.

Do you know what species they are?
    As far as I know they're PP.

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    Yes.

Tank Size: 20G

Lid Type: Hard to explain. But the openings are always covered to keep in the humidity.

Placement of tank in your home: In my bedroom, by the patio-door we never use- The temperature doesn't fall below 72 degrees.

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Sand, 6inches, give or take. (Moist in most places, only dry in a small radius in the back of the tank where the heater is.

Type of Gauges: Analog? I guess.

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? Yes.

Placement of Gauges: Inside the tank.

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: 72 Degrees 75% Humidity (It's hard to read.)

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): I have a small heater on the back of the sand, on the outside of the glass... It doesn't heat much, but we keep it warm in my room. The temperature never drops below 72 degrees

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): Not sure, but it's not a heating lamp. There's light, but my plants provide shade.

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Oh yes.

Is there any metal in your tank? NO.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? A mesh-tote bag I cut to fit as a background. Plenty of plants and vines, and a few sticks.

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? Dechlorinated

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? Not sure at the moment.

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes. The salt-mix is the kind from the pet-store.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Dishes for water, I was told the sponges are not necessary.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? Too many to count. : P

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? Yes.

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? I bathed them in March after I brought them each home. Not since.

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? Yes.

How often do you handle them? Every couple days or so for a few minutes.

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? No.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? No.

What types of foods do you feed? I'm using samples sent to me from Hermit Crab Addiction store and the Crabbage Patch online.

What do you use as a calcium supplement? It varies, but I usually use the cuttlebone treat mix from Hermit Crab Addiction.

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Try giving the crab varities of shells.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Everything sounds good. :) Don't handle him and let him destress. Maybe give him some peanut butter and honey too. If he's still in his shell tomorrow and is active and healthy, and his exoskeleton is hardened up, you could put him back in the main tank. You should check for mites too, just in case.
    Good luck! :) He'll be fine.

4. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Oh, he has plenty of shells... lol. Trust me. ; )

Honey and Peanut Butter. Got it. ; )

He's been in his shell all day yesterday and I woke up this morning expecting the worse but he was perfectly fine. I put a lot of his cuttle-bone treat, and some sort of dirt with worm-casings? From Hermit Crab Addiction I believe... (I like mixing up their food a lot.) Since he hasn't been up in a month, I figured I'd give him a taste of what he's been missing out on. : )

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That's good! :) Did his color fully return from his molt?

6. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Unfortunately not... He's darker, but he's still a pale color, not like the day before though... Could that be a problem?

7. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Nah. Most hermit crabs don't fully regain their color until a few days or a week after coming up. It wouldn't be surprising if he dug down again for another week or so.

8. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

He changed shells again! : D He changed into a light pale pink-ish shell that reminds me of a snail-shell... I was all worried this morning, I woke up and found his regular shell empty, and I freaked out! I saw little pale purple legs clinging to the top of the climbing stick... So I took off the light, the lid, my plants and sure enough he was in a shell. lol! :rolleyes:

9. beardog108

beardog108 Hi, I'm New Here!

:)my hermies rock i know how to tell if there boy or giril

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.