1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting or dead?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Shelia, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi everyone,
    My boyfriends daughter has hermit crabs, I thought were so neat. I started researching all I could online for the last month or so, have spent hours looking at sites. She got me 2 for Christmas. They were in painted shells which I hated. They were in a smaller plastic tank, probably 5 gal or so. My daughter had two 10 gal tanks so I got them, set it one up with all the right things. I have good sand 4-5 inches deep, dishes for treated water and salt water. Fed commercial food for a few days till I found out it was no good so fed them fresh fruit and veggies, got bloodwormss and sundried baby shrimp, honey from a honey bees nest that the hurricane blew over, and other things, right temp and humidity using gages, every thing I knew to do to take care of them right. Within 2 days they changed shells and I got the painted ones out. The other day one buried itself and left a pile of sand on the surface, I didn't know if was molting or what, I read to smooth the sand to see if it comes up and night, I have been gone since Saturday evening and got home this morning, sand is piled up again, so he has resurfaced and went back under. Do they go under and resurface when molting? The other one was in the corner inside its shell behind a coconut hut and had been there 1 1/2 days when I left Saturday, I figured was eating and drinking at night since there was signs of it. This morning it is still there but half out of its shell and doesn't respond to anything, they both usually withdrew into their shells at any movement from me. I cant see the abdomen. I cant tell if is the exoskelton or crab. The eyes on lil stems are black, not clouded over. Does the exo look the same exact way as the crab as far as eyes? If a surface molt, are they so still they seem dead for awhile before molting? There is NO fishy smell in the tank, although I havent picked him up to smell him closely. I have the moon light on for heat, covered the end and side of tank with a towel where the crab is behind the hut. I dont know what is going on and I don't know what to do, am scared to touch it incase it is molting. It sure looks dead to me. :-(

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

if its hanging out of it shell its more likly that its dieing

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Did they have any fresh food and water (declorinated and salt) since Saturday?

4. Shelia

Shelia Hi, I'm New Here!

They had fresh water and salt water, both declorinated. They had fresh foods. I was sacard to touch Blue Boy, I had a friend to come over and check on him. He picked him up, it had a strong smell, Blue Boy was dead. :-( Ruddie is still buried, hope he is ok. I put in an ad for a 20L aquarium in a local online paper. I have found a 55L, with a lid, light and stand. This seems to be a good deal since the pet store here has a 20L with just the stand, no lid lights etc etc. If I stay brave enough, maybe will check it out. Thanks to you all for your advice and help. :)

5. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I've read many posts where people thought the crabs were dead or dying, and the crabbies were just molting and came back with gusto! I wouldn't give up yet! Now that a few days have passed, what is the crab doing now?

Sorry you're going through this,
    Donna M

6. matthew300ex

matthew300ex Hi, I'm New Here!

my crab did the same thing. he molted last weekend and looked fine. this morning when i woke up he was half out of his shell and was unresponsive to a mist of water. i know it is not his exoskeleton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.