1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting issue!! Please help!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Shingo, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shingo

Shingo Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok so one if my crabs is the shy type who never really comes out of his shell much. He usually digs into the substrate and sand all the time and will sit there for a day or two, to the point I have to dig him up to introduce new food and water to him. (ivehad them both for about 5 months) well when I hold him it usually takes a little coaxin for him to come out. Well today he didn't come out he is lifeless and limp. And is sitting halfway out of his shell. I think he is molting! But I dug him up a couple of times thisweek... Couldi have hurt him?? now he is sitting on top of his sand half way out his shell!! I hope I didn't disturb his molt!! What can I do to help him out??

2. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

All I know is that you shouldn't dig up crabs unless its an emergency, maybe someone else can help you =/

3. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

He was probably trying to molt when you kept digging him up. Is he moving at all? If his abdomen is coming out of his shell, then he's dead.

Heh..fellow West Virginian. Naughty digger.

Edit: There's an emergancy form you can fill out to provide more information. Click here.

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Well number 1 rule of crab ownership is never dig them up!
    Crabs pretty much know what they are doing they know when there is food around and will eat when they feel like it, crabs can go weeks without eating.

As far as the way you are describing your crab...I think he may have passed BUT he may be trying to surface molt now, dont touch him, but put something over him like a coco hut if he IS surface molting he needs as much darkness as you can provide.
    Just leave him alone do not touch him at all.

5. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

if he starts to smell fishy, he's dead =[ he nay have already passed, but leave him alone until it starts to smell fishy, just in case.

6. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

You don't need to force feed them. If food and water is available, ANYWHERE in the tank, they will know. They are very very sensitive to their needs, for being such small critters.

When my crabs are hungry, they are always very aware when fresh tasty food comes in, even if they don't see me put it in. Don't worry about hand feeding them unless they're sick and/or missing pincers/legs.

Digging up is never okay. They might be under to rest, or under to play, or under to molt. You really don't ever know, and to keep digging your crab up like that is to constantly stop your crab from doing what it needs to do. Digging up a couple times is...also bad. It may have just gotten to a point where he couldn't survive a molt because he's been trying since the first time you dug him up.

Wait, if he gets more active, that would be awesome. If he dies, then well, next time you know never to dig them up! Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.