1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molting color

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by clover, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i dont understand what people say about being beautiful when hermies are done molting. my hermie looked the same when she came up

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Some times hermies have an old layer of skin before they molt that is ready to come out. I'm not sure about this part but I think that is the reason for cloudy eyes. When they loose their skin their fresh skin is new and beautiful and fresh. It won't be that dirty etc. That is what I've picked up around here. I do agree with you clover. My crabs look pretty much the same from the way I look at it. They are all pretty.

3. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

After a crab molts, if they've had a good healthy diet with lots of keratin (adds color), their new exo will deepen to a richer or brighter color. Often they are pale when done molting, darkening over the week after they molt (when they dig under to molt, you don't usually see this pale exo).
    Here is a list of foods that are color enhancing:
    Category: Color Enhancing - Hermit Crab Foods

If your crabs didnt' change color, are you sure they molted and didn't just bury for a while, and if you are sure, maybe you will enjoy adding some color enhancing foods to see how they change next time they molt! ;)

My Equadorian was the usual brownish gray when he went down, but had a bright orange leg - now he is a bluish grain (looks very pretty I think) and his bright orange leg is more subdued, but a richer color. :)

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I know what your saying! Sherbert is surface molting in the coco hut, and when I checked on her she looked the same color as before. The only differences are the ones that always occur when hermit crabs molt: eyes darker, more hair, and sharp nails. Thanks for the color-enhancer foods, crabbyjo!

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sherbert should darken up a bit, usually a week after the molt. When did Sherbert shed her exo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.