1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting, but his buddy's alone now

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Grimmeh, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

So, my larger crab of two dug down deep into the sand, I'm assuming to molt. So now, my other, smaller, crab is alone. I doubt it, but is there any concern? I was thinking of getting a third crab anyway, but would that problematic for the molting one?

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

No. Your guy on top may get a little lonely but may even be inspired to molt himself. Don't get any more crabs (unless you know he's not molting) as they may go hog-wild and dig up your possible molter. Additionally, you'd need to ISO a newbie anyways so they wouldn't be in your main tank to keep the lonely one company for a while.

3. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

Well, the good thing is, I can actually see the buried crab when I look under the tank. I've noticed my other crab is a little less active lately,though right now he's trying on a couple new shells (just tried a new one, went to another, then went back to the first new one he tried). Anyways, I hope the buried one molts quick. :/

4. emmac350

Stop looking at the buried one - it'll keep him from molting if he sees you or light. Cover up the side of his 'cave' if you can so the light doesn't keep him from molting. Light actually makes crabs release a molt-inhibiting hormone and they will put off molting until they don't see any more. So as hard as it is, stop looking at him...just let him do his thing and he'll come up when he finishes!

5. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

So that second lone crab buried himself, too. Then, on Sat., the little guy came back up. Then, yesterday, the big one surfaced! He has a nice new dark red coat and lots of little hairs (and finally, tips to his legs! Sharp ends make me think twice of letting him crawl on me now). However, the little guy buried himself again that same day (I can see his little tunnel from under the tank). I can only imagine why. I'd figure he'd be happy to greet his old friend, but I guess not.

Either way, the big guy checked out some of the empty shells for the first time, but I don't think they're as big as he'd like. I need to figure out where I can get some good assortment of shells (Michael's only has ones too big or too small). His current shell is of a Japanese Land Snail (or so some sites call it that). It's a little thin and not too insulating, and with the cooler temps. lately I think he'd enjoy a thicker shell.

6. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Check Walmart, Mine sometimes has Turbo Shells I can see the price tag on the shelf unfortunately every time I go there are none there :(

7. emmac350

You can find shells on ebay pretty easily, or you can use the Hermit Crab Patch. Congrats on the molt, and on your possible second one!

8. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

I'm an idiot, I totally forgot about eBay when I posted that (considering I've been buying on eBay quite a bit lately). Hopefully I can find some more diverse shells rather than just the same old ones you find on all other sites and stores (I like the banged-up dull matte look).

9. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

You could if you have a large enough tank, and you would have to ISO him first. . .

10. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

I'm not sure what that was in reference to. :confused:

11. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Oh, it was referenced to your hermit crab being alone and your question: "Can I get another hermie because my other one is lonely". . .

12. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

O, haha. Well, I might still anyways, but I'd want to get a really small one. I've already got one big (1.5" shell opening) and one medium (IDR the size). Anyhow, I think the smaller fella is just adjusting for the recent lack of humidity and cooler temps. with the seasonal change. I'm thinking of changing the substrate to the coconut fiber as it might hold moisture better, though I'm not sure. I was also thinking of getting an under-the-tank heater, but IDK if it's that cold, or if it'd really help. (It's been in the mid 70s in the day and maybe in the mid-to-high 60s at night. The bigger fella doesn't seem to mind, but the smaller guy might more so.

13. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

Did you put your molting crabs in an ISO tank Grimmeh or did they molt in the main tank?

14. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

Main tank.

15. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ebay is usually Really cheap. You can get a lot of 50 for a couple dollars.

16. Grimmeh

Grimmeh "Never Molted"

Well, I couldn't really find a lot of shells I liked at an opening size of 1.5 inches, so I bought one off another site. $2.50 for the shell (Black Murex), $4.50 for shipping. I know I overpaid, but I was tired and just went for it. :p Hopefully he'll like it over his Japanese Land Snail one (it is much thicker, so he might like that).

My big fella's dug himself under a rock, and has been the past few days, but he's been coming out at night, and stirring quite a ruckus (woke me up every night thus far <.<). However, the little guy's still under.

17. emmac350

Tiny crabs are much quieter, but you're right - big guys are LOUD. I had 2 big crabs (okay, small-medium, but big for me) that I adopted in my room by my bed while ISOing them...I used earplugs at night to keep from waking up all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.