1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting Behavior or Not?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by krackersmom2, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I have two medium PPs that have been consistently burying themselves for the last few weeks. They do not have a cloudy pre molt appearance. Does this necessarily mean that they are not ready to molt? Should I move them to an ISO tank just in case?
    When our first small crab molted it was a complete surprise and he came through it just fine. When we found him, we carefully relocated him to the ISO along with his exoskeleton. When he ate that, and appeared active again we put him back....now he stays on the surface all the time. It was weird because the other smaller crab was also burying himself, but did not molt as far as we know...so two crabs exhibited similar behavior...one molted, one didn't...now the two mediums are behaving the same way....I'm confused....Will I screw up their cycle if I dig them up and check on them? I just don't want to lose a crab and I'm so confused as to the correct course of action. I dug up a med. this evening and he reburied within two minutes! Does it hurt them to go without food during the molting process? A little guidance will be greatly appreciated!

2. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Don't dig them up! They need the dark as part of their molting process. (It has to do with hormonal balance.) Everything I've read about molting says to just let them be and they'll generally come through fine unless there is something unsuitable about their habitat or they weren't in good health to begin with. Trust your crabs to take care of themselves while they're molting. Good luck!

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yes, as Briard said, do not dig up a buried crab! There is really no need at all to move them to ISO while molting - unless you see some behaviour suggesting that another crab is going to attack them. But again, if your conditions are good and the crabs are not deficient in their diet, all should go well. None of mine have ever had a problem during a molt and I have an E that just loves to burrow! You can cause a lot of stress and even injury to a crab who might be in the middle of a molt. In terms of food, they can stay under for a loooong time without it! Mine are usually gone for about 7 weeks.

4. hermie101

hermie101 (Micro Crab)

yes he probably will molt. i have one that just moltedand he did the same thing. DON'T MOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!

5. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

like everyone else has said, there is no need to iso them for a molt and you deff should NOT be digging them up at all for any reason.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely leave them be. :) Both crabs are healthy and hardy...they are the biggest guys in the gang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.