1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molting and parasite emergency

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by staryfox6, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staryfox6

staryfox6 Hi, I'm New Here!

i bought my hermit crabs a month ago. when i brought them home i set up their crabitat and cleaned, boiled, and took all precautions i could. one of my crabs was severely mistreated:mad: and i fell in love with him right away.
    i found him 2 days ago acting very strangely so i put him in an iso tank in case he was sick or molting.

today he molted i was so excited i took a picture (he molted above ground in a hole he had dug himself... he kept digging side ways because he is missing parts of his legs on one side :( )

when i took a closer look at him i saw 2 red parasites zoom between his legs.

now i don't know what to do... i know he is too weak for a bath, but what is the parasites are eating him alive or he can't take the extra blood suckign stress and dies????:confused:

any help you can give me would be awesome.

please think of bardock!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

can you describe the bug? Crabs generally get mites but they are not big enough to see easily most times. Mites can be red - you need to give the bath unless you are going to spend money on a mite eating bug (very $$$ expensive) he can die if they keep at him. Sounds like he is very stressed it may not be a win situation no matter what you do but they can surprise us.

3. staryfox6

staryfox6 Hi, I'm New Here!

it was a really quick glimpse, but it looked a tiny, flat,red, oval quickly running out and then into the his mouth area.

i have read that it might be a firebrat. i'm just not sure.

i have bathed him before and never notice anything on him.
    i'm just worried that if i move him or bath him this soon after his molt he will become too stressed and die.
    he is still pretty tired and only comes out to eat his exoskeleton and his new exo hasn't hardened yet.

So far though he looks great and has been moving a little more.
    he is a very beautiful shade of red.:)

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Staryfox, it sounds to me like it could be mites. I'm not familiar with that kind myself, but I also had a molter when I found grain mites in my tank.
    You are right, you don't want to bathe the molter, it can affect the hardening of his exo and really mess with his body chemistry and could kill him.
    A little spendy way to deal with the mites is to introduce predatory mites:
    Fungus Gnat, Thrips, Snake Mite Predator (Hypoaspis sp.)

This is what I did, as I knew I could not get rid of the mites with a crab down molting. He is still down molting, and there now (several weeks later) is no evidence of the mites in the tank that was formerly infested.

Info on mites:
    [FONT=&quot]Mites - Coenobita Caresheets - News & Articles : crabstreetjournal.com

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Maybe you can find info in the link above to help you identify your mites/insects.
    If you choose to use the predatory mites, this is the most inexpensive supplier I found in the US:
    [/FONT]Fungus Gnat Predators

Also, you will want to check your other crabs carefully. If these are mites, your other crabs are probably infested as well. Sounds like a bathing session is due. :)

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yes also clean everything else in the tank and boil it. Another option is to get these expensive bugs and put them in their and they will eat the mites. Don't ask me where to get them or how to get rid of them once they ate the mites.:confused:

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

How long do you boil it for? Sorry if this a stupid question.

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

No question is stupid. I usually get really hot water and leave it in the sink with the decorations to sit for about 30 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.