1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting. And i'm scared!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by deege39, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

OMG GUYS! I went in this morning to check on my crabbies; I planned to rearrange the plants/accessories and wash all their dishes... The last two days I've noticed on either side of the tank two deep dips in the sand like a crap either came up or went down...

(For the last three weeks or so, I've had two guys under the sand.)

Well... I found an empty shell from one of the guys buried! I moved the sand around just a little bit and saw a pale, light pink leg!! It moved! (It doesn't stink-to-high-heaven, so I'm pretty sure no one's dead.) But I'm nervous...

His shell is empty on the top of the sand, and he's like, just under the surface a little bit...

Is that how they do it when they molt? The other guy is still buried and I haven't seen his shell empty or inhabited...

I did bury the guy back up, and made sure that in that corner, if/when he comes up he can pick from any shell...

(The sand is good consitency, it's warm and humid, and I've got plenty of water, salt and fresh, and plenty of calcium...)

Should I be worried?

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I think you need to find that guy.

3. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Which one?

4. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

No Leave the burried Crab BE!!!!
    Crabs do not come out of there shells as far as i know when moltting!!!
    MAy have been stress and left it shell then moltted!! i say leave the crab Be!

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yes do not try to find him(even though you know where he is:confused:) or dig him up again.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Do what HermitPaws says. I really don't know alot about molting.

7. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

I was concerned he had just died, so I just shifted the sand a little bit and saw a pink leg 'wiggle', so I instantly covered him back up... He wasn't buried all that well to begin with, but he's nice and covered now.

I put all the extra shells around the corner, opening up, so when he comes up he can just go right into one...

Thanks for the suggestions... : ) I didn't think they came out of their shells either, that's why I was so concerned and wanted to make sure he was still alive. I had my last guy come out of his shell and by the time I found him he was dead. : (

8. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Sometimes they take off their shell when they molt, but most hermit crabs dont.

9. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

That's what worries me.......... I keep going in to check and see if he's up and in a new shell. Hehe.

10. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Ewwie... I once had a crab have a weird molt like that. He came back up to the surface and was naked... and mushy. He looked like a shrimp!!! I freaked out and put him in an iso... with a ton of salt water and shells. Then he went into a shell after a few days... and eventually got a hard exo again. But that was when I was a new crabby owner and I probably did tons of things wrong.

11. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Be careful about re-covering him, don't pack the sand over him...they need an air pocket, and there's a danger that he may not have the air he needs since you covered him. Perhaps the best thing you can do now is to take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut the ends off, rinse it good of course, and put it over him, pushing the bottle into the substrate all the way to the bottom of the tank. Make sure it extends above the surface enough so that another crab can't climb in.

This will keep anyone from attacking and eating him, and allow him to finish molting in peace. Add the waters inside for him to drink, (you can use soda bottle caps, etc.) add some small amounts of food, for example crushed cuttle bone, natural honey, natural peanut butter, slivers of apple with the honey, etc. I would also pull back some of the sand too and have it similar to the way the crab had it, or at the very least so he can get some air. Add at least one shell, and if you have the room, maybe one or two more.

Keep an eye on him but do NOT disturb him. Perhaps someone else will have some more tips for you.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Some hermies molt naked. Most don't, but as long as the conditions are right, there's no worry. Do what Mckenny said so your hermie will be safe.
    Good luck! :)

13. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Okay guys, I went in there and uncovered him some, just a tiny bit, like I saw yesterday, an itty-bitty pink leg twitched, and I saw the sand shiver a little bit... I've got plenty of shells ready for him.

There's plenty of calcium and food ready for him too...

Would it be alright to put him in isolation when he comes up and gets a shell?

14. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

When he is strong enough to get back into his shell, I don't think there would be any need to iso him, in fact it would stress him out again and he may not recover from that. Unless someone is bothering him when he is finished molting, I would leave him in his familiar surroundings. :)

15. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I would be a bit scared of trying to dig a two liter into the substrate around a crab, on the chance I might squish him. I would probably go with the cardboard barrier option and give him plenty of room.

I think the no shell is okay, so long as the tank temp and humidity is right and you set up some protection for him. Other than that, trust your crab knows exactly what its doing and really doesn't need your help at this stage and just wants privacy :D

That what I did, anyway... just left them be.

16. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Oh my gosh!!

He came up yesterday! I was out shopping all afternoon, I come home, he's still under... I walk out of my room to grab some bags, walk back in and **WAMO-BLAMO** NOW he's in his shell! I MISSED IT AGAIN! He picked the same shell he was in prior to molting... That's kind of cool out of all the other shells he picked that one...

BUT... This morning. : ( I found him out of that shell, and behind the net that I have for them to climb on... He's still alive and feisty. So I put him in ISO. I put the shell he was in and a couple others to choose from. I also put in a lot of salt-water and an extra food dish with food and a banana-cuttlebone-treat, (I got that from Hermit Crab Addiction.) ; ) I sure hope he's going to be okay! This is exactly what happened to one of my other guys, and I didn't get to him in time and he died. : (

Does anyone have any suggestions on why he did this? He was fine all evening, and most of the night, I went to sleep around 11pm, this morning at 7:30 I wake up and he's out of his shell...

17. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I would recommend you fill out the emergency form. If this isn't the first time your crabs have done this, or even if it is the first, it seems there might be something going on and the form might help us to figure out what it is so you can have normal molts.

18. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

UPDATE!!

Okay everyone, here's an update... Little Sleepy is doing just fine. He's switched in and out of his old shell and a new one a few times in the last couple days, but I think he's sticking with his old one.

I've been feeding him plenty of calcium and all kinds of goodies, which he's relishing, he hasn't moved from his food bowl much. :p

And, he's a nice purple color... He's not pale anymore... He's still not moving around much, but he does peek out of his shell and he has been eating. He did climb around for a little while the other day...

So I'd say all-in-all he's doing great. :)

Thanks for helping me through my first-ever MOLT. :D

19. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That's great! :) Congrats on your first molt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.