1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting aggression

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Itsy, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Selvester molted about 2-3 weeks ago his shell hardened fine and he surface molted. Well since then he has become very agressive he used to be calm and shy and friendly. Not you pick him up and he pops out and trys to pinch you. He also hasnt eaten anything or drank anything in almost 4 days. We tryed putting him back into the main tank about 6 days ago and all he did for two days was curle into his shell and sit were we left him. So i picked him up to see if he was ok and he popped outta his shell trying to pinch me again. So we put him back into iso and have been monitoring his food and water very close and he hasnt eaten anything or drank anything still all he did was move into the corner and curle into his shell. then last night he started chriping and just kept chirping and we dont have anyone else in iso. Also during his molt he lost a leg. I hope someone can help me with what might be going on.

2. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Itsy, for some reason your crab sounds very stressed. Molting is one of the hardest things a crab has to do and for some crabs it takes an extra long time to get over it. Treat the crab like he's just purchased. Keep him in a quiet place and increase the humidity a little. Give him honey and cuttlebone, plus a stinky fish protein. He should get back to being his old self, it may take awhile though. Good luck.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Crabs personalities can change after a molt, for better or worse. Why have him in ISO? He's not sick or molting, he may be stressed from being alone.

4. Itsy

no because we put him back in the main tank and whenever another crab would come near him he would start waving his pincher like mad. Then whoever got close to him would scuttle away really fast when i put him into the main tank for of my smaller crabs wouldnt leave the second and third levels. Hes not very happy and hes so aggressive and unfriendly towards the other crabs im thinking i might have to give him to someone who can deal with a troubled crab like this because i dont want to be endangering my other crabs.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Crabs do this though. They will wave off other crabs. It's how they are. He's not troubled he's a normal acting crab.

I have crabs who run away when I approach the tank. It's normal. I seriously doubt your crabs not leaving the levels has anything to do with this crab. The more then likely like being there.

Crab's dont have emotions like we do.

6. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I don't think that he's popping out to pinch you, but trying to hold onto something so that he doesnt fall. Being lifted up is not something that crabs enjoy. It sounds like he is very stressed and you should probably put him back into the main tank so that he can destress.

Crabs have their own hirarchy within a tank and it sometimes has to be reformed after molts. I agree being put into iso may be detrimental for him at this time. Also being moved so much after a molt might overstress him. Being stressed can kill crabs.

7. Itsy

no because i put him on my hand and he pops out n starts trying to pinch at my hand and i know about peking order.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Then it's a sign he doesn't like/want to be held. So refrain from doing that. It doesn't make him aggressive.

9. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I agree that he isnt liking being held. I don't think its agression but more of a defensive reaction to fear from being held.

10. Itsy

Before he molted there was no problems and now he just gets mean no he reacts the same way around any other crabs. We put them all into the playpen and he started to charge at other crabs and waving his pincher. I dont think its that he doesnt like being held because hes just being plain mean hes going after anything that moves.

11. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Itsy, you aren't listening to what people are telling you ... it's normal behaviour. I read on another post that you are getting a huge tank and taking on many crabs in a few months. In order to do so, you have to understand your crabs so that you aren't giving them away again. I also truly believe and can't reiterate enough that you have waaaay to many crabs in your tank right now.

Anyway, it is normal behaviour. Mine did the same thing after his molt. As a matter of fact, I still can't pick him up right now because he is still miserable. I just let him be. He was up on his string tower and Daisy went up to visit and he pushed her almost right off. After Daisy's molt she went from being extremely friendly and outgoing to very, very shy.

Just leave him. He's fine. If he's pinching, he doesn't want you to pick him up.

Sometimes less is more! You don't have to touch them and handle them all the time.

12. Itsy

How do i get him back to his old self if that is possible or could he be aggressive and mean till the end of his days? I was told handling them will teach them to be more friendly and less agressive with people.

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

He may be this way until the next molt or forever. You just need to realize he doe not want to be held and you can't change that. Whoever told you that by holding a crab it will make them friendly wasn't being honest. There's crabs out there that under no circumstances like to be held. There's some that dont mind and will allow you to pick them up. But you need to go by the crabs actions and stop handling this one in particular. He's showing you he doesn't like it, so you need to stop or it can lead to him being stressed and possibly dying.

We cannot be 100% that crabs like being held. Cats like it, they purr and if they dont they scratch you to get away. Crabs can't purr and his trying to grab onto you is him showing you he doesnt like it. Crabs aren't held in the wild. They aren't accustomed to human contact. They do not know you won't hurt them, and probably think you are a predator.
    As for him being aggressive and mean, he's not. It's normal crab behavior.

I've heard you mention in many other posts that you read stuff from other places/sites and this is how you get your information. What sites say that holding crabs makes them like it?

14. nancy

I know I was voted down with my idea to keep him in the iso. My thought is that if this crab had buried he would still be underground and would not have been messed with. It just seems to me that to give him a little peace and quiet can't be a bad thing in this instance.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

The reason I discouraged it was because these animals are highly social. To keep one isilated for something that's normal behaviour can only harm it. If there is adequate enough space in the tank for the amount of crabs owned and sufficient hiding areas, he can find a spot in the main tank and have alone time. That way he's around other crabs and still can go off by himself.

16. nancy

Vicki, you're right. They are very social. I'm just not familiar with this behavior. I shouldn't have tried to give advice on a topic I'm not familiar with. Sorry about that.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

You brought up something that other people were probably thinking. It's good to do that. Conversation is the only way to get ideas, thoughts out in the open and for many minds to come together and work on something. Definately keep posting!

I've come to realize that there is nothing thats 100% certain with crabs. There's are many different views and ways of crabbing and things are constantly changing due to food/behaviour trials. Nothing is ever set in stone.

I know you do alot of research, so you're a great member to chime in on threads. There's so much info out there that 1 person can't know all. I know alittle, you know alittle and so on and we call reply to posts and everything comes together. I love the crabbing community!:D

18. nancy

Thanks, Vicki. I was wondering if there was any research around that might explain the personality change. Do both males and females become aggressive for instance. Molting is a part of aging, so could the aggression be related to hormones? I've always been hands off with my crabs so I haven't perceived a difference in normal and post molt behavior. I'd love to find out more about it.

19. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I've become hands off, just because I have noticed that there is a change after a molt. Both got pinchy, Daisy got very shy. I dunno why it happens?

20. Itsy

Selvester went streaking last night he left his shell in the moss and i found him in a small babylonian shell this morning. I was like whoa and 4 other crabs were sittin around him and all there feelers were going crazy! N i picked him up to see if everything was ok and he wasnt pinchy! So i took a look in his old shell and seen there was a small hole on the inside that i think was irritating him, i dont think he was being aggressive because he molted i think when he molted he got bigger and the hole was irritating him, making him irritated and stressed. Im glad that i might have an explanation of why he was being so irratable. Dont worry i threw out his old shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.