1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molted without a hole...

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by mermaid, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mermaid

mermaid Hi, I'm New Here!

As you may remember, one of my crabs, Katrina, died awhile ago. I bought a new little crab, Alexander, and the first night I put him in with Ivan (my other crab), they ran around and climbed and acted happy.

The next morning, Alexander was in the fake-boat cave and Ivan was in a hole. About three days later, Ivan remained in the hole (he's still there), and Alexander hadn't moved. He looked all dry and dead. I carefully picked up the fake boat. He was half-out of his shell, and looked awful...but I left him alone, upped the humidity in the tank and hoped for the best.

The next morning, I checked...and there was Alexander, with a tiny new pink body, eating the exoskeleton he'd left!:eek: (This was two days ago.) I thought they went into holes to molt! Isn't it a bad sign when they molt outside? I didn't know that was what he was doing until he was finished! It happened so fast! Is he okay? He's eating and moving around...

I've been reading posts on this page through all of this, learning to care for my new-bodied Alexander...what an adventure he is already. :p

2. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

some hermit crabs can top molt. mine did th esame thing when i furst got him. some dig some don't. kin dof depends on the crowding of the tank in my experiences.

3. mermaid

Hmm...I only have two nickel-sized crabs in a 10-gallon tank, so I don't think he was crowded.

He seems to be okay, so I'm not too worried about him, but if it is an environmental problem that caused it, I'd like to fix it. Any other reasons he might have done it?

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Is your substrate deep enough for them to burrow? Sometimes surface molts happen. If he is eating his exo and seems okay, I would just leave him and not bother him until he's ready to come about. Maybe you can put something dark on top of him like a hut and just let him to his thing. The actual molt process only takes a few hours. It is all the preparation before and after that takes so long! He will need to regain strength...

5. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

ive noticed with my small and medium crabs there usually hardened and ready to go after about a week and a half ive had 3 surface molts myself in those three times ive iso'd my crabs and they seem to regenerate and eat most of there exo in about a week i usually put them back in the main tank when i notice there shell is hard again and theyve started to eat the normal food i put in there.

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

It seems like it may be that he had started his molt cycle before you got him. It's possible that there was simply no time to dig down and so the little guy molted where ever he happened to be. I don't think its a problem. Good luck with your crabbies.

7. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I had 2 hermies that did surface molts, don't know why. They had enough sub. Everything turned out alright. Just be patient. Good luck.

8. mermaid

Thanks, everyone. He ate his exo, as you said he would, and is now eating normally. My other crab is still in a hole...so we'll see what he looks like when he comes up! Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.