1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molted in water bowl?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by MoribundMaverick, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Hi, I've had really bad luck with hermit crabbing (There aren't many good hermit crab stores around here) but one of my crabs I have had for over a year. She's just gone in for her second molt since I've had her, but she decided to do it in the water bowl! I've never seen anybody else molt (the last time she molted I only saw the aftermath), and I'm worried if maybe she's really sick. She's been popped half way out of her shell for about 26 or so hours, and her old exoskeleton is only half way off. She's waving her new legs and her antennas around, but the legs on her right side are still in the skin. I'm really worried that maybe she shouldn't be in the water bowl, but I know better than to handle her.

Is this a case where I actually should pick her up?? She's in her own tank, so that isn't a problem, but I'm still worried about the whole water-bowl part.

2. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

OMG I wish I knew what to tell you, but I'm new at this crabbie thing. I have had one buried (not moving a muscle), for almost a month now, and it's making me crazy. I'm afraid he's going to die, but everyone tells me to leave him alone for awhile longer, so I will.

If I saw what you are seeing, I would probably freak! I read that they drink lots of water before a molt, but molting in a water dish? Maybe it doesn't have the strength to get itself out? I don't know, I'm only pondering. But I would be tempted to gently lift it out and put it under a dark hut. But that's me........I may get gently reprimanded for saying that! LOL!

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Donna M.

3. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

If you're worried about the water making things complicated for her, then you can probably suck it all up with a turkey baster.

4. MoribundMaverick

Do you think I should? Or do you think that maybe she chose the water dish? She seems to be coming along well through it. Not as quick as her last molt- her last molt was actually overnight! This is the second day, and the whole left side of her body, her eyes, and her antennas are out. When I come up to take a peek, she still waves at me. But I have read things about not giving a crab a bath right after it molted, because it can cause mold. Is this the same for the water dish?

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Sounds like your crab is too weak to move on it's own. I've heard about moving them with a spoon etc. , but I'd like to hear what some of the more experienced crabbers think. I'd say if she's in no danger of drowning, I'd just leaver her there to do her thing. Bothering her could stress her out or cause a deformed molt.

6. MoribundMaverick

Her molt is actually coming along well, I think. She's almost completely shed her old exoskeleton, she just has a couple legs left. What I'm worried about now is will the water make her mold? I know that I'm not supposed to bathe crabs right after they mold, so I'm thinking it might be the same for a water bowl. I'll go ahead and suck the water out.

7. krackersmom2

I would wait and see if she climbs out on her own after she is finished molting. Then intervene only if necessary.

8. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

What's the humidity in your tank? I wonder if she actually sought out the water bowl to help her with the molt.

9. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Did she ever leave the water bowl?

10. MoribundMaverick

The humidity is about 78 in the tank....
    But now I have a real emergancy!!

Her old skin is fully off.... but the limbs on the left side of her body are gone too! Are they going to grow back after the dead skin comes off? I didn't think it worked that way. In fact, I'm certain it doesn't work that way. It doesn't make any sense!

Is my hermit crab permanantly handycapt?

11. krackersmom2

All the crabby's parts should be there and he does sound deformed....your crab had kind of a strange molt....the good news is that if it can get around on a few limbs to get nourishment, it willprobably be okay. The situation will probably correct itself in the next molt.

12. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

I replied to your other post about inability to slide the exo off and I'm wondering if that's truly why your crab chose to molt in the water bowl, because she knew she was or would have trouble.

I would carefully lift her with a spoon and set her on a damp paper towel and if she's still stuck in her exo and hasn't dropped the limbs, put a few drops of treated water from an eyedropper on the spot where leg meets exo and GENTLY see if you can help slide it off. Not much though bc water can interfere with hardening of the new exo. Although she was in the water dish, I'm assuming that perhaps the sponge (mentioned in the other thread) prevented full access.

Sponges aren't needed in water dishes in fact they can prevent a crab from replenishing his shell water and breed bacteria.

To check your gauge for accuracy, half fill a shot glass or other small glass with table salt. Add a few drops of water to wet the salt but not dissolve it and then set the glass and your gauge inside a clean widemouth jar like a mayonnaise jar. Tightly cap it and let it sit for 6 hours. It should read 75%. If not, if you have a screw on the back you can adjust it. If it doesn't have a screw just make a mental note to add or subtract however much it's off by whenever you check humidity. I've read you can calibrate digital gauges in the same way but I've never done it myself.

13. MoribundMaverick

Her exoskeleton is already gone and half eaten. There's no way she can grow limbs before next molt?? Won't that be in another year or so? I'm worried about introducing her back into the crabitat. Should I wait until her next molt? Or is that too long and she'd die from loneliness? Should I get a baby crab smaller than her?

14. krackersmom2

The chances that she is going to grow limbs are slim to none. It may not be another year until she molts again. What size is she? Smaller crabs sometimes molt several times a year. Larger crabs less frequently.
    I would not hesitate to reintroduce her to the crabitat in a couple of weeks when the next exo has hardened. Unless you see another crab bully her, chances are she'll be just fine. :)

15. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

She can't regenerate limbs for this molt but the need to replace them will trigger another molt sooner rather than later. Small crabs molt every 1-2 months, larger crabs molt less frequently because their growth is slower and their molts take longer. Improving her diet to include regular offerings of protein, fruit, veggies, calcium and cellulose will make her healthy and strong, spur growth (which will increase molt frequency), help her successfully endure the rigors of molting (especially regeneration molt) and build a strong exoskeleton.

epicureanhermit.com - Home if you're not familiar with it has excellent resources for safe, healthy feeding. The FAQ link on the left side will take you to lists of foods, safe and unsafe woods, edible plants and flowers as well as recipes for new, pre/post molt and ill crabs and articles on what products and additives can hurt them.

Did you say on the other thread that you offer Variety Bites? It's been a while since I've seen that product but check your ingredient list and if it contains ethoxyquin or copper sulfate then it's more harm than good. I want to say that's a product that contains salt too but I can't be sure.

If you want to try offering a fresh diet, some examples of the categories are:
    protein - human grade seafood, petstore frozen foods like krill, bloodworms, silversides (always check ingredients even on petstore products), soft boiled eggs (yolks are great for them), unseasoned unsalted chicken, unsalted crushed nuts (great for their oils)

fruits and veggies - tropical fruits like papaya, mango, coconut, bananas, apples, carrots, berries and melons, dark leafy lettuces like romaine and spinach, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini

calcium - calcisand, clean boiled eggshells, crushed oyster shells, sand dollars

cellulose - air popped popcorn, krill, shrimp exo, all natural sea sponges (should be steralized prior to offering), bark and woods, bran, beans, peas, cabbage, plants and plant roots (I believe) and the hulls of oats, rice and soybeans.

I'm not sure what category they fall under but seaweed and spirulina (an algae powdeer available in health food stores) are also excellent to have on hand. Foods should be pesticide free and dried fruits should be ferrous sulfate free. I like to cut snips off of fresh food before I prepare it for myself and either offer it right then or freeze it for later use. I hope I haven't overwhelmed you; it's actually pretty easy to offer a diet void of commercial products.

16. MoribundMaverick

Thank you so much! I was actually making myself some breakfast for dinner tonight (weird food cravings..) so tonight I will boil Tiffany an egg, and tomorrow I'll be shopping to find her a new diet!

She measures as a small crab, so can I be expecting a molt soon?

17. krackersmom2

Probably sooner than later. Feed her well and hope for the best!

18. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

I don't see a delete function so I've removed my original post that was here which was responding to what I thought was a post that said she'd fully shed her exo but now had no limbs on either side and I no longer see that. I've been up with a sick kid though so I could be a bit loopy right now.

Maverick had you posted and removed such a comment?

If not I will respond to your last question. You should withhold feeding until she eats the exo because she needs it to replace the calcium and nutrients that she lost in the molt. As she put a lot of energy into it, and may be missing a claw (I don't recall if she has both or not) if you have a clean chopper or grinder you could grind it up for her to make it easier.

19. krackersmom2

You may have read the exo info in this person's other thread on this subject.

20. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Thanks Kracker. I was quite baffled after I'd responded but couldn't find the post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.