1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molt ISO

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by haleye1997, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i have a crab who i think is about to molt shouls i put her in ISO or leave her i am very stressed! She will not come out of the cocohut she wants to dig in there but she wont bury herself she has not molted in a while and i think it is time i have never had a molt and i have had her for 7 months she is little i have eco and calci sand 3 other small crabs:confused: do they come out of their shells to molt? i am afraid the others will dig her up or collapse her air hole!:(

2. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I let mine molt in the main tank, I have never had a problem. If you notice anyone other crabs digging where she is molting at you can always do the 1/2 2 liter over her pushed down in the sand. Cut the bottom off and push it all the way to the bottom over her and remove the lid from the pop bottle for air.

3. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

what if i do not know where she is and push it down on her?:(:eek::confused:

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Well of course that method is for if you know where the crab is. I would never use that method if I had no idea where the crab was. Like I said though, don't worry about it. I have 3 molters right now and 3 new crabs I just adopted and they don't even know I have 3 under right now. The newbies will be surprised to see 3 more crabs soon and the 3 under will be surprised with new water dishes and 3 new crabs. Like I said don't worry about many of us crabbers don't worry about molters and only ISO new crabs.

5. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

Thank you soooooo much! it really means alot to me that there are so many nice people here!:)

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I allow my crabs to molt in the main tank as well. Digging them up and moving them to a new environment is not a good idea. You have a stronger chance of your crab dying of stress than being bothered by other crabs. Usually other crabs will only bother a surface molter.
    Don't worry about your crab's ability to breathe under the sand. They have modified gills, not lungs. I would also advise you to use playsand as a substrate instead of the calci sand. Calci sand makes a better dietary supplement than a substrate. Playsand will only cost you about $3.50 a bag at Home Depot or Lowe's. The most well known brand is "Quickcrete". You should mix your playsand with dechlorinated water until it is sandcastle consistency, not soupy. Having moist sand in your tank will also help stabilize your humidity. Crabs cannot possibly dig a molt cave in dry calcisand. It will collapse as they dig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.