1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mix of Food

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Poppy, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

I was just wondering, if I added a bunch of foods and crushed them, into a fine powder (mix the powders), would they eat it?
    I dont wanna waste a bunch of food lol

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

i won't Do it in to powder, but in fine pieces. that way they can pick it up.

3. Poppy

Well, I crushed the Calcium things I got from vickis store into powder and they ate it lol, or..inhaled it lol

Also, I have this metal container, well, I'm pretty sure its metal and I got it from the restaurant " The Outback "
    Its a nice container and it'll hold food awesome, can I put it in my tank though if its metal?

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Metal=No

I crush most of my dry stuff up, but it's never a fine powder- more like chucks with powder. I guess it depends on how easy it cuts or if I want to touch it. Dried squid from Vicki's they love. Am I touching it long enough to crush it up? Heck no - snip snip done.

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I personally wouldn't crush stuff up even into a chunky mixture. I want the crabs to be able to find exactly what they need nutritionally. If they don't need protein, but need some tannins or cellulose, I want them to find that and not protein. Besides, then I know what they eat more of, and then can order more from the Addiction Store accordingly.

6. Poppy

How do I even check if its metal? lol

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yea, that way they could get variety, but in just one fine, powdery mixture!!!

8. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

if it is metal or even suspected painted metal you shouldnt use it even to store food outside the tank,
    As far as crushing food dont do it.
    Give it to them whole and let them tear it apart that is why they have claws.
    They can REALLY tear stuff up I watched one of my guys working on a carrot and was amazed how easily he got little tiny chunks of it off to eat.
    It keeps them busy also, in the wild there is no one out there grinding up their food, I think they get enjoyment out of tearing it apart themselves. I actually pit the remainder of my apple I ate the other day and there were 3 crabs sitting around it tearing pieces off, my big crab Dozer sat on it like king of the apple and he ate a seed for about an hour!

9. Poppy

Aha aww
    Can I put a baby carrot into their tank, and have them eat?
    Ive been watching their food and they seem not to be eating much
    Actually they're picky, they want new foods all the time, lol

10. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Yes, you can as long as its organic. Sometimes its hard to remember they're so much smaller than us, so they eat smaller portions. Food can look untouched when in fact they might have been nibbling on it all day when you just weren't looking.
    And a good variety of food is essential for their nutrition.
    Just like hermit crabs, we dont like eating the same foods all the time.
    Hope that helps. Btw, I have yet to try the carrots with mine but plan on it. Just know that they're on the safe food list.
    Good luck!

11. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

A baby carrot is actually a good way to see if they are eating!
    When they nibble on it you can see the indentations in the carrot better than most food.
    Don't be afraid to leave it in there either, Crabbies like close to rotting food, I leave their food in there for 2 days before I take it out only cause I am worried about bugs and fruit flies or else I would leave it in there longer, one time one of the crabs took a grape into a coco hut and I didnt find it for like a week it looked more like a raisin but Ty was still chomping on it lol

12. Poppy

Eww ahah thats weird
    Yeah my crabs always drag their sponges and foods into their huts lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.