1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Legs

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by DaisyCrab, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? just over a month

Do you know what species they are? He's a rug

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? Yes, if possible, long story

Tank Size: 10g

Lid Type: Screen with plexiglass sealing most of it to keep humidity in

Placement of tank in your home: Living room, away from the high traffic area

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Moist & approx 3 1/2 inches deep. The crabs in this tank are "smalls." and 2 teeny's.

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital: Analog (it's the temp & hum. in the same gauge)

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? Yes

Placement of Gauges: back wall of the tank. I have a large hole cut out of the net that covers that wall so it won't effect the readings of the gauge.

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % temp. 79 & hum 85ish

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): Under the tank, almost half the tank, and 3 1/2 inches of sand

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): Natural light (no lamps)

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Yes

Is there any metal in your tank? No

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? Net that covers the entire back wall, moss pit suctioned to tank, shell pit suctioned to the tank, a bridge, half log house, palm trees with hammock and vines

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? Spring

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? n/a

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes, and HBH salt. It's the only kind they have here I've looked.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Dishes, the fresh water dish has a sponge to avoid drowning

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? Gees, probably 3 or 4

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? Yes, and it's done on a weekly basis

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? Only when I first purchase them

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? Yes

How often do you handle them? Daily if possible

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? No

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? Not often, only when I clean the tank

What types of foods do you feed? Fresh only, and store bought bloodworms

What do you use as a calcium supplement? Cuddle bone, which they don't have right now

I HAD to clean out my tank, like it had to be done. Which meant digging. I already knew that all the crabs had just recently had a molt, or had recently molted when I bought them.

Almost everyone (8) was just down there sleeping or what not. Until I came across Sylvester, my second smallest. His shell is no bigger around than a nickel. He is missing legs. All he has left is his big pincher and 1 leg on each side.

I don't know what happened. I haven't seen him since I put him in the tank, he buried immediately. Something obviously stressed him out.

I have him away from everyone else right now and I don't know what to do with him. He's getting around ok for only have 2 legs and a pincher.

What should I do?

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Anybody, please???

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I really don't think there is anything you can do. I had a crab for about 3 weeks, then all of a sudden, he started dropping limbs and died. I assume it was PPS even though it was a few weeks after purchase. I'd assume the same in your situation. When you first purchase them, ISO them-I know you know that, and try to. Also, DO NOT disturb them for AT LEAST a month. Some crabs, longer than a month. I know you probably do all this already. But I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry. I wish I could help more.

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

If you haven't seen him since you put him in the tank a month ago, he's probably suffering from PPS....or his molt went bad.

Not much you can do in either case. Best just to leave him completely be and provide good foods, a hidey and a quiet corner. Keep your fingers crossed. You may have stressed him out more by unburying him. They can regenerate their limbs, so let's hope he molts again soon.

As alli'smom said, ISO your new ones and have a hands off approach for a good month. They need their strength to survive in a tank with established crabs.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Sorry about your situation. Aside from the missing legs, how is he acting? Is he eating and active or lethargic and ignoring the food? I think that might be a good indicator of whether or not he will make it.

6. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

It sounds serious. Was he like this when you brought him home or is this just a recent thing? I suggest you let him stay in ISO, provide him LOTS of food, as if he's going to molt. That might speed up his molting behaviors and as a result, having him recover from missing limbs. I would also suggest you keep him in the ISO until he molts, just to be on the safe side. Good luck with him! :)

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

He was fine when I brought him home. He seems to have re-buried, but he was getting around ok last night. He ate alot, he seemed to be starving actually.

I hope he makes it, I feel bad, even thought I know it's not my fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.