1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal question?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by pblove, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I got the hermies a 20 g.long for their Christmas gift and am in the process of setting it up. I am taking my time, as this is going to be a dream hermie home for them and me-lol.
    I have noticed in some pictures, that people have put artificial plants in their crabitats.
    After looking at many artificial plants,have noticed, all have metal in them, wouldn't this harm or possible harm the crabs, with the heat and moisture breaking down the metal?? eventually??? [​IMG]

2. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

I got my leaves and vines at Dollar Tree and it is all just plastic. Also as long as the metal is covered it is ok. Once it does start breaking down, would need to get it out ASAP.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Sharon,
    I had some with wire in them and decided not to put them in the tank because I am concerned that the hermies would pinch through the plastic and expose the metal. I ended up buying aquarium plants at my local pet store which are all plastic in construction. Luckily, my lps has great prices on things..at least 2-3 dollars less than Petco.

I forgot to add, I do have the flexible, artificial branches in my tank (which I know have wire in them) but they are so heavily covered, I doubt the crabs could pinch through them while climbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.