1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menadione

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by hermit_crabs_rule, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

While I was researching ethoxyquin,I read stuff somehting about menadione(I never heard of it til now).
    this is what I found:
    A food addictive
    If injested,it coudl cause skin irritation.Should NOT be used to treat bitamin k deficiency

2. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] could you please send me more on this subject please, i want to make sure im not giving my crabbies anything that hurt them. i also signed the wal mart petition, i live in far northern utah , and our wal mart does not sale the crabbies , however they do place beta fish in cups , and i know the manager personally in our store, we live in a very small town. we are going to move them out of those cups, i was sick about it . thank you for bringing this to my attention. chattykathy.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Menadione is ...I believe (need to look it up [​IMG] ) a synthetic form of vitamin K. But then again, I haven't really looked into it. I just recall hearing it in the past. Off to research... LOL

Okay, so maybe it's not synthetic. Here is a link about for starters.
    http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/vitamins/pages/vitamink.html
    in which case I shouldn't think it would be harmful. Julia?

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

The little research I had time for this morning lists menadione as synthetic (which I recommend avoiding) AND toxic. EMedicine says it is no longer used to treat Vitamin K deficiency.

It's best to get vitamin K from diet:

Food sources of vitamin K

Vitamin K is found in leafy vegetables, cheese and liver. It is also found in asparagus, coffee, bacon and green tea.

http://www.anyvitamins.com/vitamin-k-info.htm

Of course the crabs shouldn't have the coffee, bacon or green tea, and cheese only once in a blue moon.

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

You rock Kerie! I thought I had read somewhere that it was synthetic, but couldn't remember where. I have had so little time lately to be online and my lousy computer keeps crashing, so I'm glad you were able to find some info on it.

6. hermitcrab2005

hermitcrab2005 Hi, I'm New Here!

the place that i read about it said that it causes skin irritation.Would that affect hermit crabs?

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

There's no way of knowing what a known irritant would do to a crab's delicate system.

when in doubt, leave it out. When it comes to feeding crabs, natural sources of vitamins are far superior to synthetic ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.