1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meijer Store, Plainfield, IL

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by wickedannabella, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedannabella

wickedannabella (Micro Crab)

I thought the crab in a cup by Wal-Mart was horrible, but the conditions that this store in Plainfield, IL keeps their crabs is HORRID! I am composing a letter to the store manager as well as the district manager. I would appreciate if there are any other contacts I could send this to as well. Sadly, our local ASPCA won't deal with crabs.
    I didn't even know that Meijer carried hermit crabs and just happened to stumble across this tank. Here is what I found
    The red circles show you dropped limbs, a rotting carcass and a moldy bit of food in moldy water.
    [​IMG]
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/limbsmoldandcarcass.jpg

This poor little guy has one leg left and both pinchers, but he's about to go.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/October2707055.jpg

Moldy bits in the water

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/moldybitsinwater.jpg

More limbs in the corner

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/October2707057.jpg

A rotting crab carcass complete with mold.
    [​IMG]
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/moldycarcass.jpg
    Another view

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/moldycrab.jpg

More limbs
    [​IMG]
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/meijer crab/October2707058.jpg

Gang, I need your help. Whatever we can do as a group would be appreciated. Advice is welcome!

Here's some info...
    They only have a COMMENT box on their website.
    Meijer: Contact Us
    The address of the store is...
    Plainfield
    13521 South Route 59
    Plainfield, IL 60544
    (815)267-8000
    Drive-thru available Pharmacy
    (815)267-8010
    Pharmacy Hours:
    Monday - Friday: 9:00AM - 9:00PM
    Thanks!
    Lori

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Send them to Department Manager, Store Manager, Regional Manager all the way up the chain.

Also maybe call your local paper and see if they'd do an article on it.

3. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Couldn't we do another petition?

4. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Looks like what I found at Petland Friday night--only without the mold. I have seen terrible conditions at Petland before, but Friday there was ALOT of limbs and dead rotting crabs. VERY SAD. However, these pics are beyond words. Glad you took pics as proof. Whatever I can do to help--count me in.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

A petition might work. If everyone wrote a letter in, that might work just as well and faster. Get enough complaints in the mail and they might take notice.

6. wickedannabella

Anything you guys could do would be great. I was there this morning just to check and the tank conditions were the same. Amazingly the little guy is still hanging on, but in the same place! They haven't even changed the water. This time I took out my eyeliner and wrote on the glass (it's just wax, not permanent) "Dead/moldy crab! Dying crabs, Limbs! Where is the justice in this! Don't buy pets from here!"

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

You go Wickie!! I wouldnt have thought to write on the tank!!! I'll send off a letter no problem!

8. alli'smommy

You're awesome!! I wish I had a backbone like that!! LOL

9. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Thats the greatest thing ever! I think I'm going to carry some eye liner with me now.

10. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Horrendous. I hate Meijer's Thrifty Acres - for no matter what you need to purchase. Would you be able to get a main address for the store's headquarters? I'd gladly write to them! If it would be okay, I'll print out your pictures and enclose them with the letter.

11. alli'smommy

That's a good idea Hildegarde, to print the pictures and send them! I may do that too!!!! Maybe if we gang up on them, they'll get scared and make a change! Out of curiosity, why doesn't the ASPCA deal with crabs?

12. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

My understanding is that the ASPCA deals more with dogs and cats. I believe they don't get involved with hermit crabs.

13. wickedannabella

All I know is that their headquarters is located in Grand Rapids Michigan. They seem to be very tight lipped about that.

14. OddyCrab

OddyCrab (Micro Crab)

we should all do something! that it might make other shops improve aswel

15. Lightning Yoshi

Lightning Yoshi (Micro Crab)

ok, I HATE ****ers WHO DO THOSE KIND OF STUFF! WHY CANT THEY USE THEIR ****ING BRAIN?????!!!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO HELP:)

16. alli'smommy

Easy on the language!! It is offesive to others-kids and adults alike!! I know this is a topic that gets folks fired up, but please consider others' feelings!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.