1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet Puck and friends! NEW PICS!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by jesspark, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Hi, fellow crabbers! :D

Puck (short for "Puckmarin") has been a member of our family for one month tomorrow. He's an "only crab" as of now--I know, I know, "hermit" is a misnomer, but my husband and I gave in and "rescued" him from a surf shop in downtown Sarasota, and, since he buried himself in EE and beach sand a week after we got him, I didn't want to add a new hermie to the ten-gallon crabitat in case Puck was molting and vulnerable. We plan on rectifying the single-crab situation soon -- later today, if possible. :)

After being down for three weeks with no sign of touching his food or surfacing, I started hearing Puck bumping and scratching around against the glass of his aquarium yesterday, so I assumed that he was alive and well enough to move around -- done molting, maybe, or perhaps he'd never molted at all and was just de-stressing underground all this time. When I picked up one of the decorative resin pieces in his 'tat, there he was, movin' and groovin' like the active little bugger he was when we first saw him at the surf shop and brought him home. Since I'd neglected to photograph him then, I took advantage of the opportunity and got a few pictures of him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently scratching my head a bit... did he molt within the past three weeks, or not? He didn't display any pre-molt symptoms like a really ashy exo or cloudy eyes (I'm comparing pre-molt hermit crabs to pre-shed snakes, though, which may not be a good parallel; snakes are really obvious), but he seems hairier now than I remember. Maybe I'm just imagining things. :idunno:

At least now I have some photographic evidence for comparison's sake when he comes up next time -- because, sure enough, after feeding him some peanut butter and putting him back in his 'tat, he's back underground, bumpin' around. I think he's having a party down there. =) Hopefully, he'll have a friend or two to party with soon if we can find any hermies tomorrow! Even if he hasn't molted yet, I want him to have other hermit crabs to socialize with; I guess I'll just have to get over my fear of his getting attacked post-molt and keep an extra-close eye on everyone.

Anyway! That's my little Puckmarin. :) I'm so glad to meet everyone and see all your cute crabbies!

--jesspark

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Re: Meet Puck!

He is gorgeous- I have one just like him=his name s Saylor--IF he molted you will see needle like leg tips and he will be very hairy--
    he looks big-but its hard to tell.......usually larger ones need more time than that but let me tell you they all do it in their own time so its not impossible.
    Glad to see pics and we look forward to learning more about Puck!

MAKE Sure though to ISO the new ones-you really need to check they dont have mites etc--so Puck shouuld still be alone for another 2 weeks to make sure they are healthy and ok......Puck should get a bath too to make sure he has no mites either.

There is postings on what to do here somewhere.

3. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

New Additions

Thanks for the welcome and the kind words, Hermez! :) The advice is greatly appreciated, too; I've already learned a lot just from perusing the boards, and it's great to have so much knowledge and crabbing experience just a click away. =)

My husband and I went out today to get Puck a friend or two.. and came back with three more PPs, a bunch of new shells, and a twenty-gallon long aquarium. :D

Meet Black Betty (bam-ba-lam!), a medium/large PP:

[​IMG]

...Max, a small PP...

[​IMG]

...and Launchpad (or as much of him as he'd show at the time, anyway), another small PP:

[​IMG]

Now that everyone's had a bath, the newbies are chilling in the ten-gallon tank while Puck has the twenty-gallon all to himself. Here are a few photos of the main set-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a couple of the new shells in the last photo as well as Puck, center, enjoying the netting that I've strung across the top of the 'tat. He immediately hooked his claws into it and started climbing upside-down, and then he hung there for quite some time, just--well, hanging out! True to form, however, he's now back underground. Sigh. :) Maybe when we introduce his news friends to the crabitat, he'll find more reason to stay up when he's between molts. Right now, I'm beginning to think he's part mole...

Whew! It's been quite a crabby day. :)

4. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

I'm glad you were able to get Puck some friends :sunny:

Your crabitat looks great :flower:

5. Smaughunter

Smaughunter Guest

Nice crabs! t'at dark one is gorgeous.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Ah the makings of a true addict! That is great news--glad to hear it :straw:

7. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

:kpics: I just love your crabbies! Tat looks really good! Be careful it IS ADDICTING! :chuckle: Wait until they molt a couple of more times and you get to see their colors change! It's sooo awesome!

8. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

State of the Crabitat

Whew! Sorry for the delay in responding -- it's been a busy couple of weeks!

First, the bad news: Launchpad is no longer with us. :sad5: I had the three "new kids" (Black Betty, Max, and Launchpad) quarantined in the ten-gallon, and, while Black Betty stayed up most of the time and Max was infrequently buried, Launchpad went down immediately and never came back up. When I moved Black Betty and Max into the twenty-gallon with Puck after their quarantine period was over, I brushed my fingers against Launchpad in the substrate... and, sure enough, he was dead when I picked him up. Poor little guy.

The good news is, everyone else seems to be doing fine and dandy. No one has changed shells yet and Puck still spends the vast majority of his time underground, but they seem to be eating well, Black Betty is usually up and about, Max makes regular appearances, and I can always hear Puck bumpin' around beneath the EE. I still think that crab is part mole. =)

Pictures? Naturally! :D

[​IMG]
    Puck, doing what he does best! Still no obvious signs of molting, although I did see him spending some time at the saltwater bowl on one of the rare occasions that he graced me with his presence aboveground.

[​IMG]
    Black Betty, enjoying his (yep, I call Betty a "him" -- not sure of "his" gender yet, though) climb up to the top of the net. He seems to be my most adventurous crabby.

[​IMG]
    Black Betty reaches the top! Wow, look at the difference in coloration when he hasn't just had a bath... so much for the "black" in "Black Betty"!

[​IMG]
    Last one: Black Betty once again! You can baaarely see Max on the ground below, right in the center along the bottom of the picture. I really need to take photos of him by himself.

So... that's the state of the crabitat around here! =) I was sorry to lose Launchpad to what I'm assuming was PPS, but I'm glad the other guys seem to be doing well, and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching them. I'll sit down in front of the 'tat for what I tell myself will be "just a few minutes" in the middle of the night when the crabs are active, and, next thing I know, a half-hour or even an hour has passed! My husband likes them, too; just last night, he even asked me, "Is there anywhere to get hermit crabs besides a pet store? Like, somewhere more reputable -- a breeder or something?" I told him about a little place called the Crabbage Patch...

:muahaha:

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, Hermez, LilHermieOnes, Smaughunter, and CM3, and the kind words, as well!

9. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

wow, those are some great lookin' hermies!! :hula: Your tat looks awesome, too! I know this is offtopic, but, what kind of camera do you have?

10. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Thanks, hermiesrokmysox! :wub:

And these photos were taken with a little Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 that's, like, five years old. I adjusted them for color and clarity in Photoshop afterwards -- really helps to emphasize the embarrassing dog hair on the carpet. ;D

11. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Photos of Max!

A member on another hermit crab board requested more photos of poor under-represented Max, soooo... here he is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to my other crabbies, Max is so shy! Puck may spend most of his time underground, but, when he's up, he doesn't mind being picked up and handled; Black Betty is downright fearless, and will come practically all the way out of his shell if I'm holding it and he wants to go in a different direction. Max, on the other hand...

I wanted to get a picture of me holding him to give you an idea of his size (he's my smallest crab), but he would. not. come. out. Even when he was on the ground, he was very cautious; every time I moved him to a different spot for a photo, I then had to sit patiently for a couple of minutes while he got up the courage to peek out and start walking. I guess I'll get some yummy snacks to tempt him out and teach him that I'm not going to hurt him.

Anyway! Some long-overdue photos of Max for you! Enjoy! :)

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Wow!! They are beautiful. The latest pics of Max are just amazing! He's gorgeous.

13. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Thank you very much, Vicki -- both for the kind words and for offering such a great resource here! :bow:

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

True Stunners!!! Gorgeous crabs :sunny:

15. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

Awww...Max is sooo cute! :wub:

Most of my hermies are pretty fearless too, I have only a couple of little guys who are still shy.

I was talking to one of my hermies(Cole) lastnight, he was looking at me so serriously, I thought it was just the sweetest thing, because he was actually listening to me...until, I realized he was concentrating on cleaning the poop out of his shell, not me talking to him :biglaugh:

:hermzpoo:

16. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Thanks, Hermez! After seeing some of your beautiful crabs in your photos, I'll take that as quite the compliment. :D ...not that I have anything to do with what they look like at this point, but I'll take credit anyway. ;)

And LilHermieOnes, that made me laugh... especially with the accompanying crab animation. :sign10: To be fair, Cole could've been listening to you, too -- maybe he's just good at multi-tasking! =)

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

Most of my E's will stay put if I come by the tank or even open it. I do have 2 that still take off backwards as fast as they can. LOL One was going backwards and didn't know a piece of choya was there and he stopped and tried to keep going...I was laughing and saying move to the left, the left.... :chuckle:

18. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

More new crabbies join the JP clan!

Aww, vckums, I'd love to get some E's! I'm keeping my eyes peeled... all the photos I've seen of them have been adorable, and the crabitat still has enough room for a few more little guys. =)

Speaking of which... my husband and I picked up a couple of new crabs just over two weeks ago, and, in celebration of the two newbies joining the rest of the clan in the crabitat, I figured I'd post some pics!

The Perilous Beast is the first of the two new additions, and you can see where he gets his name: he's huge! I gasped when I first saw him, not only because of his size (he's considerably larger than Black Betty, who was my largest PP at the time), but also because he's covered in thick setae. He's not just hairy... the Beast is furry. I haven't gotten a photo yet that illustrates this as well as I'd like, but you can get an idea from the third pic. Yikes! The fourth photo shows Beast with Puck on the left-hand side and Max in the foreground on the right; the last two include a twenty-dollar bill for size comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Puck, the Perilous Beast, and Max.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other newbie is practically the polar opposite of the Beast: Sweetpea, a small, delicate, pretty pink and lavender PP. I'm not sure of his/her gender, but Sweetpea looks like a little princess. :) Just try to tell me that you could resist that cute li'l face!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She came to me in a magpie turbo that wasn't big enough for her (even when she was completely inside her shell, you could still see her eyes), and she tried to fix that right away by taking up residence inside a larger shell. The only problem? It was too large!

[​IMG]

Sweetpea couldn't get around too well in that shell, but I had the perfect solution: I gave her the magpie turbo that belonged to Launchpad (RIP), who was just a little larger than Sweetpea. The new shell fits beautifully -- I need to take a picture of her wearing it -- and I got to watch one of my crabs swap shells for the first time! Oh, that squishy little white bubblegum butt. =)

So those are the new kids! I also have a random photo of Max, hanging out by the shark jaw...

[​IMG]

...and a couple of pictures of Puck, my first crab, who recently surfaced from a molt! This is the first time that one of my crabs has molted, so I'm happy that he seems to have made it through in one piece. I'm a little concerned both about his pale color (the crabs need more carotene in their diet, I guess) as well as the reddish appearance of his joints, but he's eating and moving normally, so that's good, at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New pointy claws close-up!

[​IMG]

I believe Black Betty, the fifth crab in the colony, is in the process of molting, too; he's been buried at the front of the aquarium for a week or so with a nice "window" that allows me to see that he's still alive and kickin', but I can't really see much in the way of details, and I can't say for sure if he's molted yet. He appears to have dropped a leg, which has me worried, but there's nothing I can do, really, until he decides to come up, and it might just be part of his exoskeleton... I can't tell. Keep your fingers crossed for him, please? I don't want to lose Black Betty.

Anyway! That's all, folks -- enjoy the new pics! :)

19. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Don't dig anybody up, and hang in there as those crabs will all be fine. :yes2: :amie2: Those are such cute crabbies!! I want to snatch one so badly. LOL

20. jesspark

jesspark (Micro Crab)

Black Betty's makeshift iso.

Unfortunately, Hermies rule, I did dig up Black Betty -- not on purpose, but still. :oops:

While changing out the crabs' saltwater bowl yesterday afternoon, I accidentally collapsed part of his cave. I decided to leave Black Betty in the main habitat (I figured moving him into a second aquarium would be pretty stressful), but, to protect him from the other crabs and ensure that he had enough air, I put together a makeshift isolation chamber for him out of one of the plastic containers that PetsMart puts hermit crabs in for the ride home.

I filled the container about halfway with EE, turned it on its side with the opening flush against the glass of the aquarium, and placed Black Betty inside with a little bit of food (and minus one of his walking legs, which, indeed, had been dropped... sigh). I buried the container most of the way, punched an air hole in the surface that sticks above the EE, and made a "curtain" by putting a quick coat of black paint on the container's lid and attaching it to the outside of the aquarium with a suction cup directly in front of the container. This way, Black Betty will have a decent amount of darkness (more than when he was buried with his window, actually), but I can still peek in from time to time to see how he's doing.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's what the set-up looks like:

[​IMG]

I tried to handle Black Betty as little as possible when I removed him from the substrate and then placed him in the plastic container, but it was obvious even from the limited contact that I had with him that he was moving very slowly. He's usually one of my more active crabs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's just getting ready to molt. The dropped leg has me really worried, though, so I'd appreciate it if you guys could keep Black Betty in your thoughts. I just had my first successful molt -- Puck -- but my happiness over that has definitely been dampened by poor Black Betty's predicament. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.