1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium PP for adoption - Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by CrabbySandy, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrabbySandy

CrabbySandy Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a medium PP "Felix" who needs a good forever home quickly. We've had him/her for more than two years. I'm in the Fort Lauderdale Florida area. Felix will come with all accessories and supplies available at the time of adoption, I prefer to keep the tank, though. I'm willing to drive about 2 hours or so if necessary. I'm taking good care of this crab's physical needs but his tank mate died during a molt and he's been alone and unloved for too long. He needs a better situation. You can also use the private message option by clicking on my name in "member list". My internet connection has been unreliable so please give me 2-3 days to respond. I try to check often, though. Thanks very much.

Blondebomber already contacted me once but she hasn't been back in touch with me since I gave my contact info. If she contacts me within the next few days and can arrange to meet me half way I'll have to give her first consideration. She's a teacher so I hope she just got busy or is having computer issues.... I would give her more time but this situation is becoming more urgent. I also responded to Divinamoon request but haven't heard from her at all. I hope the right person contacts me soon.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Drat! You're too far away for me. :( I'm up by the Panhandle, not the southern parts. Have you tried the Hermit Crab Adoption Center?

3. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    awww man! i used to live there...

4. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

Hmmm Too bad I'm In Mobile Alabama... I'd love to take your crab...

5. CrabbySandy

Thanks for your interest. :) I wish we were farther north. My husband is just not willing to pay for hotel expenses to get Felix adopted..... Keep hoping for Felix with me, OK? :)

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

What about Flamelet. Has he been around lately? Isn't he in Florida?

7. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my aunt lives there!!!!!!!!! Dang im in colorado!!!

8. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

is it me or does it feel like there are never crabs up for adoption in my area? I mean I live on the friggen Gulf Coast we should be swimming in hermit crabs ( atleast Dolphin Island is anyway)

9. emmac350

I've managed to adopt 2 through the Hermit Crab Adoption Center, but I had to travel for 2.5 hours to get them (and my hubby said never again). I'm limited to an hour, which stinks because Florida on the site always has some - there's somebody trying to give away 14 crabs and a tank! I want, I want, I want!!! Seriously...you'd think I'd find some at some point.

10. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

XD Yeah I know... There are seven adopters in the Mobile area, and I think they'd get picked over me for having larger tanks ( 75-200 gallons) over my little ten gallon...

11. CrabbySandy

Thanks for all the responses. :) Felix is used to a 20 gallon tank and he only had one roommate. I wouldn't want him to go to a smaller crabitat - I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, though. I would love for him to be in a really huge tank. He's a pretty good size, about 1 1/8 or so shell opening - I think. I'm a bad judge of that. I actually think the 20 gal is too small for him especially on days when he doesn't get out-of-the-tank time which is happening with increasing frequency. I started with a 10 but it was so small when I moved all the stuff in.... I have some rocks and branches, the two water dishes, food dishes (lids), shells, that takes up a lot of space even in the 20 gallon. I'm going to knit another hemp hammock to give him another level - the one I had was destroyed when I tried to machine wash it but it still seems so crowded.

12. CrabbySandy

Where are you located, Emmac350? Never mind, I see now that you're in the panhandle. I'm sorry that is too far for us. Bummer. Where are the South Florida Crabbers? There must be some.....??

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  13. CrabbyLisa

CrabbyLisa Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi CrabbySandy, I live in Deerfield Beach and would like to adopt your crab. I have been crabbing for 2 years and I have a 46 gallon tank with 11 other crabbies that would love to have a new neighbor. PM me and I will give you my contact info.

14. CrabbySandy

RoxyLupin, do you still have the contact info for the Hermit Crab Adoption Center? If so, could you post it please? I didn't see the info for it when I searched. Thanks. :)

15. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

You wish to contact them? Like to tell them there's a crab for adoption? Would you like me to post on their adoption file?

Other then that no I don't have any further contact info sorry...

16. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

17. emmac350

I'd recommend using the CrabStreetJournal Adoption Center. They screen potential adopters really thoroughly about their tanks and conditions so not just anybody can adopt your crab.

Their site is here - http://crabstreetjournaladoptions.com/

18. CrabbySandy

Thanks RoxyLupin! I figured it out and posted my ad. I'm sure the right person for Felix will be along soon. I appreciate your help. :)

19. CrabbySandy

Thanks Enmac350 :) I did it so now Felix is listed for adoption in 3 places. I found a hermit crab rescue place in Sebring Florida listed on the web but the email account doesn't seem to exist anymore. I tried to call, too but I think they're out of business. I'll just keep putting it out there. I wonder how long crabs can do OK kept singly... Its already been a few months since the other crab disappeared/died.

20. CrabbySandy

Our crab, Felix, was adopted by a wonderful crabber in Fort Myers! Hooray! It turns out that Felix is female and is now being called Felicity. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.