1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medicinal Bath

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

What are the signs/symptoms of a bacterial infection in crabs??

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Im not sure of symptoms as I've only seen the signs. Black spots, mushy, open wounds. I will attach a pic on here so you can see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Oh, thanks for the pictures. That's terrible. Poor baby. They can survive this?

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Any idea how something like this is transmitted? Is this caused by unclean pet shop conditions? Are crabs purchased at a particular chain store exhibiting these symptoms? Sorry for the questions. I haven't seen any signs of this but would like to know what I can do to prevent it. It looks quite painful for that sweet crabbie.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

It usually occurs with a molt--bacteria built up in a tank that is not maintained well--EE that has peat moss in it which breaks down into a harmful bacteria--exo that is damaged during a molt etc etc. It is contagious--it can be cured by using this bath, I have had a couple of crabs with this issue. I know of a few crabs that made it a-ok!

7. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm going to make a grand inspection of the troops and pray I don't see any infection. Does the crab usually dig down and hide if it is infected? Would it be a good idea to bathe the whole tank in the medicinal bath as a preventative measure? I'm going to make a concentrated effort to be more attentive to my tanks. Thanks for the info and Merry Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.