1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meal Worms?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by HermieFan, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

did I read somewhere that Hermit Crabs like meal worms? How do you feed it to them? Dead and cut up or alive? If alive do you put the crabs in a separate tank with no substrate to eat them?
    A friend has them for her outdoor pond frogs and gave me a scoop.
    Thanks,

2. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

lol I have nooo idea. Mealworms actually give me the creeps. I fed them to a frog I had when I was younger, and the frog didnt make it but the mealworm did! Lets just say I havent touched a mealworm again yet. So if you do try it, I would say DEAD Lol.

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I wouldn't feed them live anything (except for plants). Crabs are scavengers. They like their meat dead. I heard a funny story once about someone offering their crabs live crickets as a treat, and the crabs kept running away from the crickets. They probably won't kill any insects themselves, just eat already dead ones.

Kill the mealworms by putting them in the freezer and then thaw out however many you want to use at one time, is my suggestion.

4. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Good advice. They're in the freezer becoming meal worm popscicles as we speak. I will put some bits into the food dish and see how they go over and let you all know.
    Thanks!
    Jodie

5. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

I had some crickets in my classroom this year that we raised from 2 week old nymphs to 9 mos. old. We were told they may live a year. This spring, I put the 2 that were left into my crabitat along with the calcium loaded flukers gel that was being talked about on the forum back then. I remember reading somewhere that the hermies would like the crickets as a treat. The hermies did not eat the live crickets, they did follow them around and watch them, though. When the crickets died on their own, the hermies ate them up. These crickets were fed only the best and were full of calcium from the flukers gel.
    Everyone seems okay in the hermie tank, but the hermies definitely didn't hurt the live crickets. The crickets and the hermies were often seen eating the hermie food side by side.
    cj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.