1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May you rest in peace...

Discussion in 'Other Special Pets' started by Joey Oh, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Mothers and Keepers
    I grew up in the 50s/60s (actually, I grew up in the 30’s and 40’s) with practical parents.  A mother, God love her, who washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it.  She was the original recycle queen, before they had a name for it… A father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones.
    Their marriage was good, their dreams focused.  Their best friends lived barely a wave away.  I can see them now, dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand and a dish towel in the other.  It was the time for fixing things.  A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress.
    Things we keep.  It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy.  All that re-fixing, eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful.  Waste meant affluence.   Throwing things away meant you knew there’d always be more.
    But then my mother died, and on that clear summer’s night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn’t anymore.  Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away… never to return.  So… while we have it… it’s best we love it… and care for it… and fix it when it’s broken… and heal it when it’s sick.
    This is true for marriage… and old cars… and children with bad report cards… and dogs with bad hips… and aging parents… and grandparents.  We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.  Some things we keep.  Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.
    There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special and our beloved pets… and so, we keep them close!

I received this in an email nearly 3 years ago… I felt the message is clear and worthy to pass along. 

Today I made the choice to have 2 of my dear mice humanely euthanized.  They were old, sick and struggled to breathe with every breath they took.  I spent so much time trying to decide what is right and what is wrong.  It pained me to watch them suffer, yet it pained me even more to make that decision to end their small, but meaningful lives.  I hope and pray that the choice I made was the right one… who am I to play God?!?!  But I couldn’t watch them suffer anymore… I couldn’t just watch them struggle to breathe and hurt and ache. 
    To lose is to lose… no matter how big or how small.  The lives that are precious to you can not be brought back… once they are gone they are indeed gone… please hold all those lives that are dear to you close to your heart!

May my Shali and Coco Rest in Peace.  I saved you from a life of certain death… but yet, death came for you anyway.  I never thought that loosing 2 someone’s so small could hurt so big.

Shali: September 2006-November 21, 2007
    [img width=300 height=235]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l246/morgan0731/shali0313Large.jpg[/img]
    Coco: January 2007-November 21, 2007
    [img width=300 height=282]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l246/morgan0731/Coco0142Large.jpg[/img]

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Im so sorry Joey I truly am- :hug2: what cuties-you did the right thing :sad5: even thoug hard

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Oh Joey, I'm very sorry. :huggies: :pinkr2:

4. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

:petals: I'm so sorry for your loss! :petals: It's always hard to make that kind of decision. About a year ago, I had to make the choice to put our German Shepherd down. His name was Jerry Lee. I had always wanted one growing up, but parents wouldn't let me get one. As an adult, I found Jerry Lee as a abused pet, from my sister's neighbor. He was 30lbs. under weight. We nursed him back to health and had a good 3yrs. w/ him. Then one day he stopped eating, he didn't want to go for walks anymore, and wasn't interested in playing w/ the children either. I took him to the vet, and found out he had a tumor that had spread to his heart. Talking about some sobbing going on, I miss him still! But when I do feel lonely, I go to my backyard and there we have a cross w/ his collor and tags on it. Sometimes, I sit by my old friend and just remember him. I have found that Memories are the glue to fixing a broken heart. I hope your memories fix yours as well. :rainbow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.