1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by crabbbychris, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbbychris

crabbbychris (Micro Crab)

I suppose my thread is somewhat like the one a couple spots down...
    I've had my hermies for anywhere from 11 months to 6 months.
    UP until the last week or two they have all stayed out, and been very active. I have 10 total, and I could always look in the tank and count and find all 10 of then.
    Recently I can't count but 5... So I suppose the others have went into a molt..?? I have one 'BIG' one. I suppose he's a bit of an odd one. I have two tanks, and the top tank has about 2" of substrate, and the bottom tank has about 4". I figured the big one would molt downstairs when the time came. I have two of these medium size wooden U shaped tunnels for the hermies to hide in. Sometimes they get substrate all clogged up on both ends of the tunnel and I can't see if any are in there. (I usually keep one end against the glass)
    Anyway.. I was working on changing out my water bottle with fresh water, etc, general tiding up, and lifted up the tunnel, and here sat this BIG hermie. He had buried down as far as he could, and shoved EE up on the ends to make it dark. I figured this was his version of 'molting' (who knows they keep us so confused) Anyway he;s been missing for a couple weeks, I figure he'll be OK.
    In anyway, he moved a bit, I covered him back up quickly and left him alone.
    The other four Hermies ... One I am pretty sure is molting,... I can look at the bottom of the tank, and see him down there against the glass. The other two I haven't saw for a couple weeks.

Also If you have been reading my "out of the Shell" thread in the general care area (I suppose should be in 911)... anyway that hermie now seems to have disappeared. Maybe he is going to molt also after getting into a different shell..?? Poor little fella. He's had a rough week...
    In any event I had PLANNED on putting him in ISO,.. but now that he's disappeared,.. I suppose it's just best to leave him be as is..??

2. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I wouldn't move the hermie or dig him up after all of that stress he's been through. How recently did you get the crab in question?

3. crabbbychris

it's been I'd say about 5 months...
    It's funny I read where lots of people say there crabs molt not long after they get them home for the pet shop, etc etc...
    I've had all my crabs anywhere from 5 to 11 months and none of mine have molted the first time yet. I thought that was very odd.
    I guess they are all different.
    I did notice the temp in the tank has dropped about 6 degrees... from 78 or 79 degrees down to 71 or 72. I also read when the temp changes in the fall it could cause molting, or them to go underground....
    SO I have now put an extra light on them to raise the heat back up...
    Ever since I got them it has pretty much stayed 80/80

4. Hermie's rule

Its probable that the hermies molted shortly before the pet store got a hold of them. :p I think that was the case with one of my crabs. One thing to make sure of is with that high of a temp, the humidity should stay high as well. That's easily acheived by boiling a cup of water and putting the cup of water into a plastic cup and let sit on a level surface.

5. crabbbychris

ok.. thanks I didn't know that there was a relative relationship one to the other...
    I'll watch and make sure and keep them adjusted.

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

When crabs are under it's best not to disturb anything. If the quonsets are clogged with substraight, they are that way for a reason. It's espcially difficult for larger crabs to molt. Work on keeping your humidity and your temperature more even. I once killed a jumbo PP because I peeped at him during a molt and startled him. I have four large PP's in a crabitat and the only maintenance I do is to change out the food and waters and to spritz the tat with dechlor salt water when the humidity goes down. You don't want to take any chances that you can't take back. Good luck. I had a sad experience and I just wanted to share it so that it will not happen to you.

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I always believe leaving them alone when they are stressed out is the best approach. If you accidentally uncover a crabby, recover them immmediately and leave them be.
    As for "mass molting" this can happen if the conditions in your tank suddenly become optimal for molting. Take it that you have a healthy tank. Many of us have also noticed that crabbies seem to "hibernate" during the winter months. Others have noted a marked decrease in activity and increased burying during colder months.

8. Hermie's rule

My hermies just did a mass molt right after winter set in.

9. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

3 of my 5 are molting, and at least one of the other two is preparing. I feel like going out and buying more just so my tank will be more active!

10. heidi

heidi "Never Molted"

give it time they will all be active again i have two in iso and one in the crabitat berried some where so down to one climbing and cherping think hes calling his friends who knows i too miss them one has been in iso from12-11,today and one missing for today is day two

11. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

It seems like none of my crabs ever go down alone..
    half of them are down for molts, or maybe just for digging's sake, as we speak.
    and i have fourteen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.