1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

major humidity booster!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by babyreba, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babyreba

babyreba Hi, I'm New Here!

So if you're looking to boost humidity in your crabs' environment, I highly recommend building yourself a deep plexiglass pool. I just built one and added it to my straws' tank last night, it looks like this:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc20b3127cce9d2e79a9215000000016108AaMmTZs0Ytu

I knew it would boost the humidity some, but I was shocked to see when I got up this morning that the humidity had risen to 95 percent! Ack! It was practically raining in the 'tat! I have removed the plexiglass tank cover and just left it open with the screen to air out for a while. I hope the crabs enjoyed their "shower."

2. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Neat pool!

3. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]That looks very cool babyreba, nice job, by the way hows the humidity doing since ya uncoverd the top??

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I tried this too for 2 days, but my humidity was staying in the 90's even with the lid open/off. I am going to give it a go again in a few weeks after I take some of the EE out and put in more sand and work on a way to get ventilation going-I've got a few ideas, so we will see how it goes. I am also going to fashion a customized lid that will give me the option of leaving the tank open partially without fear of escapees or closing it back up if necessary.

I just looked at your picture again and was wondering if you put a piece of plexi in the tank at an angle and then siliconed it in place along the seems..?? It kind of looks that way from the picture. I wanted to try that but have been unsure how to perfect it. And, I wonder how much of a pain in the rump it will be to clean. I thought about putting very small "caves" under the ramped plexi and then covering them with substrate before putting the plexi in.

5. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

A good way to keep the pool from having to be cleaned as often is:

Put a bubbler in it so the water is constantly moving like a fresh water stream. If it is just sitting there it will be more like a small lake gone bad. But in this idea may increase humidity even more. It would be nice if the humidity could stay up and have no top for constant ventilation as well. I would never support no glass top only because of humidity dropping to low but if humidity can be held high enough without top, I say go for it. The more air circulation the better. I have the tropic Aire which I LOVE. It not only keeps humidity levels perfect in my Crabitat but is also a great air exchanger. It says it exchanges the air in my 40 breeder once every hour although there is no way for me to calculate this I do believe it to be somewhat true. Think about it, who really would want to sit in the same closed up air conditions all the time as a lot of us only have quarter size holes for vents due to humidity troubles. You may be on to something here.

I have to ask:

Do you have any small hermies whom possibly could fall in and drown in that pool? It looks like you have islands of shells or rocks, Very AWSOME Idea all around.

Just curious.

[​IMG]

Cappa

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have been kicking around the idea of putting in a filtered pool, but need to research a bit more. This is a lot more complicated than just sticking a filter in water and leaving it. I have gotten info from some other crabbers who also keep fish and they do not seem to think that a filtered basin with less than 5 gallons is a good idea. The water has to go through the nitrogen cycle and become stable before it would be safe for the crabs. Of course there are conflicting opinions on whether or not it is possible to establish a "stable" basin with less than 5g, but that is what drives me to investigate further. I'm like the cat...curiosity and all.

There are reservations about a person new to keeping crabs getting this info and running with it without researching it fully. I just want to caution to any newbies to concentrate solely on establishing a stable tank before implementing any ideas that deviate from the basics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.