1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAJOR color change???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

My 2nd largest crab JUST came up from a long molt. She looks great, but she has COMPLETELY changed color. She went from the normal reddish PP color to such a dark purple that she's almost BLACK! Why would this be?

Also, something amusing. I saw her digging back up from being buried, as I just happened to be sitting here watching Jay-Jay & Brat play. Jay-Jay was just roaming around, checking out shells, etc. Brat was climbing the net on the back wall, of course, he's always climbing. Well, they must have also seen her coming up because they both stopped dead in their tracks and LITERALLY looked over like "who is that???!!!". It was so funny. I guess since Daisy has been down for so long they forgot that she lives there, lol. Now I'm just waiting for the big girl, Georgina, to arise.

2. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

This is normal for PPs. The older they are, the darker their colors grow. I believe the stages of color go from very pale orange/tan, orange, reddish orange, reddish/purple, dark purple.

NOTE: This is not always an accurate color change chart. For example, I have a crab that is considered small (although almost a medium according to the chart) that has very dark purple colors. Almost looks black! However, the exceptions to the stages I listed seem to be rare.

3. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

So she will most likely stay this color then? I'm curious as to how old she is. I've only had her since last September or October. I don't know about the chart, I've lost it on my computer here, but she might fit inside a tennis ball so to speak but it would be tight.

4. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

A tennis ball? That's certainly a jumbo! Her color may still change but not by a lot and I doubt it will go back to the orange/red stage.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I love when they change colors except when they get paler- tells me the diet is good :)

6. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I had a small PP that went down red and came up a deep blue/purple. :)

7. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Using color to determine the health of a crab seems really iffy to me. When I first started crabbing, I used to get my crabs from a mall Kiosk. I picked the most active small ones I could find, they were all pale/light orange at the time (juvenile colors). (I usually only pick small crabs, even till now. Out of 25+ crabs, I only have 3 mediumish/largish crabs. Anyway... I've had them for over a year now and colors have not changed much for me. It couldn't possibly be the lack of nutrients, because if it was, I should've had at least one of them die off already. However, NONE have died on me. Some of them had their colors turned more vibrant than their old pale exo, but I still wouldn't consider it a "good" orange color yet. It's still kind of a light color. In any case, to me, color doesn't say much about health. I have some crabs that are more vibrant in color and some a bit on the pale side. And over many molts that I've had them, little has changed in their colorings. However, I'm not saying a healthy diet won't help your crab! I'm just saying I don't think it will be as obvious as many people think. I don't want people freaking out when their pale crabs' molt and find little change in color, even when being fed the best of the best foods.

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My Hercules is a deep maroon color...so pretty, but he's been down for awhile and I'm hoping it's a molt. I'm curious to see if he will be a different color when he finally emerges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.