1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

main tank molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kittykat, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

i currently have my Buttercup that has just molted in the main tank. her exo is laying all around her shell, and she has a piece of exo in her shell, that she is eating. i have decided to leave her in the main tank, because the last one that i moved to iso, died after he molted. i know that another guy has also molted because i see a part of a leg in the other side of the tank. i think it was my big guy, because he was buried the other day right next to where i see the leg, and now he is out and a very bright red color. should i take the old leg out since he is not even next to it any more, or should i leave it? Basketball has changed shells now, but i'm not sure if he molted or not. hopefully Buttercup will survive, she is my favorite for some reason!
    danielle

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

A lot of people don't move them after a molt including myself. I do however watch for the signs, and ISO them when they are premolt. I have had very few maintank molts.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Has your crab been interested in the left over piece of exo? If mine are done with theirs and resurface, I usually wait a few days and then remove the left overs because they will mold in the moist EE substrate that I have. I make sure I have a dish of calci-sand in the tank at all times and also make sure their diets consist of plenty of calcium too.

I have not ISO'd any molters-with the exception of the one guy I thought was going to topside on me. All of my "buried" molts have been in the main tank. No crabs have attempted to dig up any others and/or steal their exo's. Many times crabs are buried only within inches of one another and still no signs of aggression have been shown. My jumbo has been down for two months (since December 17th or 18th) and not one of the other 30 crabs has shown the slightest interest in unearthing him.

I have an average of 7 crabs molting each month (looking back through my journals) and they have all been successful thus far.

Check Basketball's legs. If there are very sharp black tips (like stiletto heels) on the ends, chances are he did molt.

4. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

thanks for the advise guys. i think i will take out the leg, as no one has been by it, and it hasn't moved for a few days. i will check Basketballs legs. he has climbed up to the corner of the net and has stayed there since last night.
    danielle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.