1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Order Hermit Crabs

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by BL00DYMARY, May 19, 2005.

?

Do you think it is ethical to order live Hermit crabs through the mail?

1. No, it is unsafe & stressful for the critters.

98.6%
  2. Yes, it is no more stressful then shipping to a local store- & besides they are getting a good home

1.4%
  3. No. Ordering a crab creates a market and makes me a consumer as opposed to an adopter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, it is the best way to find exactly what you want, and there is no ethical difference between th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

2. BL00DYMARY

I voted undecided, mostly because I am guilty of doing this myself. I placed an order for 3 small ruggies through Hermits Direct this weekend and I have been guilt ridden ever since. Up until the second they arrived all I could think about was that these little critters where in a box on the back of a truck. They arrived yesterday and I was relieved to see that they were in better condition & spirits than any crab I'd ever gotten from the store. They are in Iso now, but they have been eating drinking & shell shopping instead of hiding. I was also impressed by the careful instructions & packaging. However, my guilt is still stopping me from making a recommendation. Does this make me a "consumer" and hermit crabs a marketable product any more than purchasing them in a store? And is that such a bad thing? What do you think? Would you recommend this practice?

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

My experience is that the crabs I've had shipped have clearly been better cared for than my local stores care for their crabs. (Though Petco is getting better.) I'm sure the 24 hours of shipping is stressful, and during that window the shipping service (FedEX, USPS, or whatever) could not take adequate care.

I would like to see explicit instructions to the shipping company placed on the outside of the box in bold letters. "LIVE ANIMALS: keep in temperature-controlled environment. Do not leave package in direct sun." I would pay extra (on top of overnight fees) to have such requests observed.

Overall, I think it's best to have local stores that do a good job. But I know what days my local Petcos will get their hermit crab shipments on Wednesdays if they get any that week, so I try to get crabs the day they arrive at the store if at all possible.

4. BL00DYMARY

I do agree that they were without a doubt better cared for, even the instructions that came with them, (though basic) were at least accurate, unlike those you get from the store. My box was clearly marked in bold magic marker "Live Hermit crabs" and it was printed all over the box to keep temperature controlled. I really started this poll to ease my conscious, so I appreciate your replies more than you know [​IMG]! I am actually so excited about my new babies. I can't wait till they are ready for a photo shoot!

5. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I chose "undecided" since I've never had shipped hermies and I've ONLY got them from the petsore, I don't, which reminds me, my little brother said he'll buy me a hermie, so I can't wait, but he said he won't buy me a tank so I think I'll get a 5 gal tank for the hermie and maybe I could put one of my other hermie in there and when I get even a bigger tank then I'll buy more hermies![​IMG]

6. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I voted "undecided" too...
    I have ordered several of my babies (overnight delivery ONLY)... I think if the person you get them from knows about how to ship them properly, it is OK.

That is just my opinion [​IMG]

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Well, you hit the nail on the head when you said that they are "mailed" to the stores from which we purchase them...

8. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I would say that it is alright to do. I prefer not to just because I like to choose my crabs by personality, and color. Since I'm addicted to ruggies I'm always looking for neat colors.

9. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

Hi everyone I saw this post and I had to jump in. We actually stopped selling live hermit crabs because we feel it is just to much stress. The time they come to us they are already shipped a least 2 to 3 times. They are taken out of the wild and shipped to a main wholesaler which then ship to a sub wholesaler most of the time. This is where we buy from. Than they are shipped to us. We ISO them for 2 weeks and then ship them out. Way to much stress. I think when you buy from a pet store they are not shipped as many times and the stress is less. If hermit crabs were captive we would not have to worry about this. We would rather cut our profits than stress out the crabs.

10. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Froggerz,
    I'm with you on wanting to choose your own crab. I have gotten a few from an on line source and all but 3 have died. Most lasted around 5 months.

Eric has a great point that they have already been shipped 2-3 times before they are sent to you. I guess it is up to you whether or not you want to chance it. Personally, I do not think I will ever order crabs on line again in the future. Mainly because I am at my quota and I can go to Petco and get Rugs, Straws, Cavs, Indos and PP's. My LPS sells E's so I am all set [​IMG]

11. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Lucky Kupla!! Lol I havent even been able to see an E yet in person. I've noticed with the crabs I've gotten that if they dont come out in my hand when I first pick them up that they are not going to make it very long. The petco I was at yesterday actually had a pp walking around in there. I havent seen a cav in person either. The only species my local petco's have are rugs, indo's, and straws. Well besides the one pp.

12. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

You just have to hit Petco often -- I just found a cavie for the first time in a new shipment a couple of days ago, and it was the only one in the bunch.

13. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

Also I have found that petco at least the one near me has improved greatly.

14. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I've never had them shipped...mainly due to a bad shipped ant farm experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.