1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made it to Petsmart yeaterday

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by zenoscribe, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

Got a vanload of kritter supplies! I noticed that they had 2 crab dens - 1 with painted shells & the other natural (& very ugly) shells. It was a large pile but only the shells were visible. I flagged down the department staff person, told him I noticed the crabs & asked if they were pp's, indo's, or e's. His answer..... "they're hermit crabs."
    [​IMG] I couldn't help but break into hysterical laughter!

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Yeah, most stores have no idea there's more than one species, even if they sell them. PetSmarts never get more than purple pinchers, though. All in all, it's painfully clear that nobody in the store bothers to learn about what they sell.

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I have gotten a ruggie frokm the petsmart by me. I asked the lady helping me if she knew what species it was ( i knew but i wanted to test her) and shes like " ummm i think they are some kind of crab?"

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

:rolleyes:
    For laughable store employees...when I asked (over the phone) what species it was, the response was...."Ummm - I think it's a boy"!

5. crazy4crabs

I wish I could work at a pet store so that when people come in looking for answers they get real ones and not just a bunch of crap info

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

;)
    You don't have to work at any pet store to go in and offer them free advice (call and make an appt. with the store owner/mgr.) on how to set up tank, educate staff & provide handouts of care to purchasers. Tell them by having a successful survivor rate, they're going to make more $$$. Not to mention more hermies will survive and go to an educated caregiver.
    :(
    Sadly, I'll tell you right now that more and more (small) responsible suppliers are going to drop off, due to morbidity rate, if they don't have the demand from repeat buyers due to sick hermies dying, or worse still, lack of information on the buyer's behalf. Unfortunately, mega stores like petsmart can absorb the loss through other sales (think of what is pushed at a first-time buyer!)
    You can do a lot by printing care sheets, what you should know before...etc., even a checklist of what you really need for hermies, and a good contact site, taking 1 day, 1 store at a time and teaching them how to set up a proper tank, even if you have to do it yourself. The first time I did this, I spent 2 hrs. just picking bodies & sorting shells before I even began setting up the tank, with my substrate!
    Since then, that particular store has ordered hermies for me, 14 day warranty, advised me of special hermies that came in, and adopted numerous "left-over's" or weak crabs to me.
    Only through education will hermies survive. That's how everybody can help.
    JMO

7. crazy4crabs

Hmmm I really would like to see bigger petstores getting the right information about hermits... I have sent numerous emails to not only my friends but other people I know who have crabs giving them links to my site as well as forums and galleries.. I feel like im not doing enough though... I mean im not affecting much.. but Im trying.

8. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

I've gotten a C, Rugosus from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.