1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lucked into a rescue...3 new crabs

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by erksh, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Woot!

I posted a random add on craigslist and a mother of preschoolers dropped off what was supposed to be four crabs, but they had obviously had a recent death.

Considering I received a 10 gallon with three forced-shell crabs and a smattering of empty shells in about an inch of cocofiber (as if they bought a disc) with some odd powdered food crusty and two sponges, no water...we're lucky.

One is damaged -- feeder claw is missing his bottom hinge (not sure he can eat, we'll see...), missing a walking leg, too.

The biggest was crammed in a too-small shell and changed 10 minutes after coming home. It was awesome. Huuuuuuuge abdomen and I thik he had a molt bubble.

After a good bath and some honey and cuttlebone, they're chilling upstairs in their now heated and covered ten gallon.

My 11-year-old is happy. He was jealous.

Crabs are happy. They're no longer cold and dry.

My "free" crabs only cost me another $35 in supplies in the way of another heater, plants, etc.;):rolleyes::p

We'll see who can live with who between the two tanks in a couple of months...we now have two fairly large and several micro/teeny to small. We may do some shifting after detox.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Awesome! I keep an eye on craigslist for unwanted crabs (husband says I can't post ad, but I can take any that are posted about), but so far no luck in my area.

Glad that you found them before they all died! I'm sure they're loving their ocean water, fresh food, new shells, warmth, humidity, etc.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Cool! I've adopted all my crabs of craigslist. You've really helped them.:)

4. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

So, I dedcided to torture the poor guys (all of them) and get some adequate measurements for shell ordering -- I obviously have a skewed eye because what I think is large is barely a medium.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.