1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of shells at Michael's (The craft store)

Discussion in 'Shell Swap & Freebies?' started by summerluvin, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. summerluvin

summerluvin "Never Molted"

Hello crab lovers. Someone has probably thought of this before, but Michael's sells bags of craft shells very inexpensively. My local pet stores only have medium and large shells, but I have small hermies, so I've been hunting for good sizes and enough for everyone to have lots to choose from. Michael's had mixed shell bags with lots of turbos, japanese snails, and babylons. I spent $2.50 and got 6 usable shells of the size I need. I boiled in distilled water and the crabs went nuts playing in them. When I woke up this morning, 2 of the 5 crabs had changed shells. They had bags with medium and large shells, too. Some only had 3 or 4 shells that are good for hermit crabs, but it is still cheaper than what my local petco sells for.

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Yes, I got a bag of mixed shells at my dollar store and got several usable shells as well. Anytime you can buy in mix bags or from the sea shell shop, you're going to get a great bargain!:D

3. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Another great way to get shells is Freecycle. Lots of people who make crafts have left over shells from projects that are just sitting around, and they're usually more than happy to see them put to good use. Gotta love Freecycle.

4. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

Michael's is amazing. I got a couple of bags from there and they've had a blast playing with them. Hobby lobby though, when I went with my sis looking for halloween things, has a much better selection, they have big baskets for $10 that have lots or smaller shells in it. I just haven't had the money to go and get one lately, I'm wanting to get them so new shells though they seem kind of.. bored with the ones they have.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Probably the best thing you can do is have extra shells stored away and switch out the unused ones every once in a while. Gives the options and variety and an excuse to go shell shopping. My seashell shop sells strands of sea shell necklaces and I've been thinking about trying some of those as climbing ropes in the crabitat. The sea fan (Jane's fan) has worked out really well as a climbing wall in my crabitat it it has withstood the moist environment well too. It was pretty big and I ended up cutting into two pieces and put it on each end of the 10 gallon. I'll definitely get some for the 30 gallon.
    BTW...love Freecycle. We also have a group called ReCycle which is basically the same thing, same format, same rules. Also love Craigslist. I haven't seen too much in the way of shells on Ebay. I really don't go to Ebay all taht much since the arrival of Freecycle. I hate paying huge shipping charges. I have gotten some great deals on Ebay too, that's the only time I will pay shipping, is if it will still cost me less than going to a store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.