1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lots of crabs in iso

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by choppylikespringles3, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choppylikespringles3

choppylikespringles3 "Never Molted"

If you buy 2 crabs can you put them in iso together?
    What if you got them from diffrent stores?

2. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I would keep them separate because sometimes you can get these little with different bugs and stuff on them and you wouldn't want to start spreading something like that between your crabs.

3. choppylikespringles3

So if I want to get more than one I should buy a tank seprater( sorry bad speller) like they sell for fish?

4. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

So long it goes all the way to the top of the tank I would think that would be ok but if one of them have a parasite on them it would still be able to get through the divider because its only a screen. I guess if you gave them a bath and you don't see anything on them that it should be ok though.

5. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

I ISO my new crabs together. but first I give them a bath. You can buy stuff to bath them in.. first you need to put the stuff in the water and let the water sit to room temp. Make sure your water is deep enough to fully submerge them in. then I turn them on there backs upside down so that they have to flip over. this cleans the inside of their shell out. then I leave them in the water for three minutes and I repeat this step three times. If they have mites, you can usually see them they are very small but you will still see them moving across their backs under their shells. if they do you need to continue to do the steps intil you no longer see them on the crabs or in the water and keep that crabby seperate from all others intil you are sure they are gone. Hope that helps

6. choppylikespringles3

I have seen lots of stuff for you crabs to bath in. what type of stuff should bathe them in? PLEASE don't start the great aloe debate though! i have been told i should bathe them in salt water and in one of my local pet store they sell real ocean water so that is what i have bathed them in. it is really cheep so they also drink it!(not the bath water of course!)

7. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I think if you get a divider you should be fine but,then you would half to have double water & food bowls.(1,for each hermie.)

8. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

If you got the crabs at the same time and from the same place it seems like you could iso them together. Unlike most people, I don't iso my crabs when I get them...I give them an initial bath (one dip in the de-chlorinated salt water mix) and if I don't see any mites or other problems, I put them into the main tank. After that, I don't handle them during the first month and I don't bathe them at all again (but I do occasionally mist them).

9. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

Sliver616 is right any de-chlorinated salt water mix will work just not table salt. Also I dont ever bathe mine again after the first time ither but I have salt water in the tank that they can fully emerge in and bathe their selves which they do. The reason I bathe them the way I do (the repeat three times) is because it was adivice I had gotten when I first started. I then put them right into there new hom after the bath. Hope that helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.