1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost my first crab in almost 8 months of crabbing and another in Code Red.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by LordRhal, Mar 11, 2010.

1. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Heya peeps,
    Long story short, I wanted to take out the big tuppperware I had my waterfall in because I fond it took up too much digging area and also it was pretty annoying to take everyone out to clean it. At the same time, I decided to reorganize my tank a bit. So I start digging up the earth slowly to make sure no crabs were in the area I was going to move around. Doing so, I noticed no crabs at all were buried in the right part of the tank. That was something I didn't like because having 24 crabs, I didn't want them all burring in the same corner. So I proceeded to find all the crabs there were burried. It was a good thing I did so because I found one crab who was buried and when I picked him up, he fell out of his shell. he was buried right over the UTH so maybe it got too hot for him. that's one of my theories. He was one I hadn't had for long and my gf said she remembered him being a lot more stressed than the others. I then went ahead and kept on making sure no one else was dead. I found one of my big guys, which I could see from under the tank.

The thing is when I would look at him, I could faintly see a second shell in his air pocket, and said shell didn't have a crab in it. So I did find an empty shell, at first I assumed the big guy got to him, it happens, no big deal, but then in the last little corner of the tank, I find the hermit that used to call that shell home, naked and having very recently molted. So my gf and I went into code Red lol I filled a big tupperware with some earth put some food water, some shells and a cocohut and I put the exo and the naked hermit in the cocohut. I then put a shell or two in the hut and kept him in the dark. This was last night, this morning I sneaked a peak to see if he was still alive, and he was in another shell!  :spunky: So far so good. I knew something wasn't right with them all digging in that corner. I believe they did so because I had all 4 of my hideys there like a little community, so they must of just been in the huts and decided to dig. Now my huts are in various places around the tank. I will keep you informed on our critical critter. Just the fact that he made it through the night is good enough for me :p I like my tank better now, they have more room to roam.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted ;p

2. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Crazy story! good thing you started digging :p

3. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

hehe yea, the molted crab went into a shell today. So at least that is a good sign, I'll keep him apart for a while until he is stronger :)

4. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I hear a lot of scary stories about naked crabs, but it seems like you got this under control, LordRal! My crab hasn't changed shells since I got her.

5. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

My crab, Willow,  naked one day, so we went 3 hours away to find her a new batch of shells. But, the next day, she was found, dead, in the water bowl.

I'm glad that yous turned out different! :flower:

6. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

[size=10pt]HI ALL, THIS MY FIRST POST AND I NEED HELP.  IN SEPTEMBER I BOUGHT A PP AT THE BEACH.  CAME HOME, GOT ON INTERNET AND LEARNED WHAT ALL I NEEDED TO DO,  THEN I GOT ANOTHER PP AND WITHIN A MONTH SHE WENT DOWN, AND...LONG STORY SHORT, SHE DIED.  NOW MY FIRSTPP, MARLET WEND DOWN ON 3/8 AND I'M TERRIFIED.  BEEN DOING A LITTLE AS I COULD TO GET THINGS RIGHT, AND I HAVE A HEATING PAD UNDER AND COVERED THE AQUARIUM.  I CAN SEE HIM FROM BOTTOM SO I TURNED IT TO LOW.  NOW MY OTH PP IS SHOWING SIGNS OF WANTING TO MOLT, I THINK.  IT IS COOL IN TANK BUT MARLEY IS ON BOTTOM AND I'M AFRAID I'LL "COOK" HIM IF I LEAVE IT ON MED.  I HAVE ORDERED TEMP GAUGE BUT IT ISN'T HERE YET.  DEBBIE

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=4663.0

Click on the URL above and it will give you some general info to get you started.

Here's another link: http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=6338.0

If you check out CRAB CARE on the home page and click it, there's a wealth of info on there.  :flower:

8. DEBBIE

:rainbow:

THANKS JELLYBEAN. I HAVE BEEN READING UP ON EVERYTHING I COULD. THERE IS SOME GREAT STUFF HERE.  ONE QUESTION I FORGOT TO ASK-DO MOLTING CRABS NEED SAME TEMPERATURE AS NON-MOLTING?

DEBBIE

9. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Yes, they will need the same temp. as the other crabs. :madhouse:

10. DEBBIE

:straw:

THANKS WILLOW111. ALL YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT. I'M KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED THAT MARLEY MAKES IT, HE IS SOOOO  SWEET.

DEBBIE :hermzpoo:

11. DEBBIE

:full:
    DOES ANYONE USE STRAIGHT WELL-WATER FOR FRESHWATER WITH CRABS?  I HAVE BEEN SINCE SEPT. 09 WITH NO PROBLEMS.  NO ONE ADDS ANYTHING TO MY WELL-WATER.

THANKS  DEBBIE :party:

12. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Uh, I don't think you're supposed to use all-capitals in your posts, Debbie.

13. DEBBIE

Thanks tmnt, I'm at that age where my arms are too short and I don't see well, but, this being new to me, I will do better.  Thanks again for everyone's help.

Debbie

14. Mckenny

"I'm at that age where my arms are too short and I don't see well,"

:biglaugh:  Oh yeah...I know how THAT is...
    :chuckle:  One day I asked my friend and fellow teacher if she'd walk down the end of the hall for me with a book so I could read it to the children!!!  :biglaugh:

I use Internet Explorer and I sometimes click on the "page" in the tool bar and click zoom and choose a number. 

I use well water and have used it in my tropical fish aquarium for years with no ill results.
    But, I did get a bottle of water dechlorinator for the Hermies water dishes.

Hope Marley is doing fine... :flower:

15. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

If you're doing fine with well water, that's great. Although I have heard well water has a high concentration of mineral salts (although don't take my word for it- i'm not certain). I've got a question that's been buzzing around my head and bugging me for ages- do you need to dechlorinate mineral water? I don't use bottled water so it's not THAT important to me, but I was just interested that's all.

16. DEBBIE

Hi Sterwick,
    I only know my well is over 600 feet deep, and through rock and it is great tasting.  I would put it up against bottled water!  So, I figured if it was good to me, it would be ok for my hermies.  I don't know abouy the declorinated water. Sorry I can't help you there.

Thanks,  Debbie :hermzpoo:

17. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Yes, my well is like yours, Debbie!

18. Mckenny

I don't know much about about the components of water, but I do know that Mineral water has "more minerals" in it than Spring water.  Some say it's more beneficial to humans, and some say not. 

I have well water that is good and I didn't use to add the drops, but as inexpensive as they are, I figured why chance it.

Some well water can be:
    high in metals.
    Or the pH of your water is above 7.8 or below 6.4.
    Or if your water has extreme mineral hardness.

My water has a ph of 7.4 and a little hard.  :dontknow:

19. DEBBIE

:sick:  Hello all, its me again, since last post about marley I received my order from Vicki and I thought that Coconut, my only other pp, would go wild over worms and other things.  It seems he has not eaten in a week, at least.  I do watch their food to make sure they are eating.  I have isolated marley. Is coconut lonely? Do you think he thinks that he is alone? I have a (coconut) hut and he seems to stay in there a lot.  I don't know what to give him.

Also, the humidity is high and I keep adjusting to bring it down, but should I mist the side marley is on, or just leave it alone. It seems dry. I have not bothered it since he dug down.

Sorry to be sooo needy, but I keep deraming about marley (and I never remember my dreams, lol!!)  Thanks for the help.  Debbie

20. Mckenny

How high is your humidity?  Do you have any bubble pools or such?  :flower: