1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looky what I just bought!

Discussion in 'Caribbean Vacation - COL (Chirping Out Loud).' started by moire_eel, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I took the "buy it now" opton on 5 of these critters on Aquabid yesterday:

[​IMG]

I must be crazy! Now I have to rush out and get a filter and decor so that I can set up a brackish semi-aquatic environment in my 20L. But they are so cool looking -- I am excited! Hopefully I can keep them alive. [​IMG]

2. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I have never seen anything like that before. What is it called?? [​IMG] Very interesting!!

3. moire_eel

They were sold under the common name of "Blue Devil Fiddler Crabs". After looking around on the web, I think their Latin name must be Uca tetragonon. From the info I am finding, the care for all fiddler crabs is about the same. The pet stores around here don't sell fiddler crabs of any species, so they will be the first I have seen other than on the beach in Florida as a child.

4. Selkhet

Selkhet Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow! Those guys are cool! How are they doing? Are they hard to care for?

There's a pet shop here that sells fidler crabs, but they are in tanks with the fish.
    They are completely underwater, with no place to get out, and it's fresh water not brackish.
    I am upset with that store because they seem to want to take care of all the mammals, fish, and reptiles, but don't seem to care about their hermit crabs. I have tried several times to inform them of their cruel hermie setup, but I don't think it made a difference. [​IMG]

5. HermitCrabs4Life

HermitCrabs4Life Hi, I'm New Here!

wow that crab is so interesting looking! lol

6. moire_eel

The fiddlers arrived today -- so far so good, but it's been less than 12 hours, lol. But I have started a webpage for them already: http://is.rice.edu/~ap/fiddlers/.

It was hard to find good care info on the web, and there was no specific care info for the species I think I have. So I am winging it a bit, and may need to make adjustments as I go.

I have limestone rocks and marine sand making up the "land" side, and driftwood providing additional places to get out on the (brackish) water side. I found a site that reccomended a specific gravity of 1.005 to 1.010, so I mixed the water accordingly. I have some fake plants for cover (but more open space than I have in my hermit crab tanks, since fiddlers do more dashing about). I have a dish of fresh water for them too, and a food dish on land, though it hasn't been touched yet! I may end up having to feed them in the water -- we'll see.

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

CONGRATS!

8. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Wow!They look so cool.Congratulations![​IMG]

9. Selkhet

Selkhet Hi, I'm New Here!

Awesome setup! Good luck with those neat little guys!

10. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

moire_eel
    I am simply jealous of all of your incredible crustaceans [​IMG] Very cool tank set up too!

11. crabbykindagal57

crabbykindagal57 Hi, I'm New Here!

ya thats cool! we just moved my hermit crabs into a big fish tank for the first time and they are having a ball exploring and all!lol anyway i heard hermit crabs can't have salt is that true? and if so what else can't they have?

12. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Oh your fiddlers are so neat!!!

13. moire_eel

I love them, but sadly two of the five have died so far. One died in the first 24 hours, and I found another dead under the freshwater dish last night. I am starting to see more of the other three, so I am hoping they are adjusting. I really know so little about them -- I know I have the basics that are reccomended for fiddler crabs, but I can't find any extra info on keeping this species. I know they have a lifespan of 1 to 3 years, and were probably wild-caught somewhere in Asia, so they could be old and/or suffering from the same kind of stress hermit crabs experience.

14. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

Oh bummer deal on the dead ones.....how are the others fairing now a couple days later?

15. Hermies_Rule

Hermies_Rule "Never Molted"

wow thats really cool looking! (almost cuter than hermit crabs! haha jk) good luck taking care of them!

16. moire_eel

I lost a third (he lost some legs somehow first -- don't know what happened there) but the remaining two are alive. They haven't been out much, and I think one of them molted because I found a hollow leg tonight as I was cleaning the tank. I am trying to keep a rotation of healthy foods out in the dish, and hoping for the best.

17. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

awesome, what website u find them on?
    btw how are they?

18. moire_eel

I bought them from www.aquabid.com. There is one particular seller named Dga who has them from time to time. I still have one tenacious little fiddler crab left. He usually stays hidden, but my husband (who often is up in the wee hours) says he sees him out of his hidey-hole from time to time.

19. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

heh cant find any crabs [​IMG]

20. moire_eel

Just check in every week or so. They don't have crabs as often as shrimp or crayfish, but they do pop up from time to time. Last time I saw crabs, the same guy I bought mine from had radar fiddlers, which are very big. Wow, did I want them, but after my experience with the Blue Devil fiddlers I probably won't take a random chance like that again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.