1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking To Adopt

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

But what are the essentials???

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Yea I saw your post they are so cute! I am glad that you and Christy were able to save them! Nothing that exciting ever happens up here lol I wish someone would come give me some hermit crabs lol.
    I'm ready for them!! I just set up a 2nd 10 Gallon ISO because someone gave me the tank for free lol

3. Hermies4Ever

Hello, peeps? What are the essentials?

4. cloie74

at least a 10 gal tank with an UTH 4" of EE food dish and 2 water dished for salt and fresh water.
    Temp/humidity guages and a hidey/climbing place

5. Hermies4Ever

I thought it was only 3". . .

6. cloie74

Measure the hight of yout largest crab and then double it, that is the minimum # if inches of substrate you should have.

7. Hermies4Ever

Than I have enough!!!

8. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

The woman didn't mean wrong I don't think but she bought 17 at once!!! YIKES!!! She expected her child to take care of them and had had enough to them not being taken care of. This is the second time in 2 weeks I have been able to find hermies that needed homes. I posted on our CL about being able to take them in and people contacted me.

I happen to live by the beaches in NJ and a lot of people buy them as souvenirs on the beach and don't care for them anymore, so it is easier here to adopt then most places probably.

9. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Yeah, it deffinetly must be pretty easy to get hermies! I got them in NJ and i don't even live in that state, lol! Long Beach Island? Ever been there? I've gone 2 years in a row, and bought the hermies on my second trip. Now knowing what i do now, their conditions were horrid! But it was all suvonier shops...

10. DecAbbersMama

I live 10 minutes from LBI - That is where Seacil comes from actually. He was a gift from a woman who runs a gift shop. I am surprised he has made it all this long :)

11. xAizaOnigirix

Wow!!:eek: maybe we got them from the same place! i got it from a shop in the strip mall there- a store just for hermies. They were all in mesh cages, though =[ I also saw them across the street from the strip mall, and some in the "Silver Sun" mini-mall (i think it's called).

That's my favorite place on earth, it is. Perhaps we've met before! lol :D

12. DecAbbersMama

I got him from a gift shop in Surf City. He was actually given to me for delivering something for the woman who ran the store. I forget the name right now. Maybe is you're coming this way we'll have to get together and pick some new friends ;-)

13. xAizaOnigirix

haha that'd be awesome :cool: i don't know if i can go again, but i really hope i can! (i went with a friend but she never talks to me anymore @_@) maybe i'll just have to go with someone else, lol!

14. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Well xQAizaonigirlx, if you need someone to go with, let me know! I live near LBI and Decabbersmama, I actually just adopted 4 of those poor guys! Already had a shell change! They totally went nuts for the real chicken last night! lol!

Anyway xqaizaongirlx, I can show you some places to get good hermies. Also in the area of LBI, is the Seaside Board Walk, were I got the best hermies ironically. It is right on the ocean, so I guess it is a direct delivery stop. THey have a HUGE big open square type box that is like 6 feet by 5 feet wide. There are a few on them, just full of hermies. hundreds of hermies to look at! Maybe a thousand or more! Tiny, Huge, small, etc.
    Anyway, I have had no PPS so far with these crabs from here. All were pretty healthy and hearty. So it is worth to take a drive, when the boardwalk opens back up around Easter-time. I am lucky to live by the shore, because we have nice access to some nice hermies!
    What state are you coming from? If you are a hermie lover, it would be worth the trip to come out here, even just once. You, me, and Decabbersmama can all have a hermie day!
    How far are you?
    Christy

15. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hey Cloie! THere are like 20 on craigslist, RI! I've reached my limit but geez, it kills me to see all these posts expire sith no (Post deleted by author) or "taken" signs.
    I'll pm you some links.

16. Hermies4Ever

Does anyone currently have any hermlets for me to adopt???

17. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Look on craigslist.

18. Hermies4Ever

My parents have set up my computer to block "Craigslist"!!!

19. xAizaOnigirix

Me, i hail from the all too boring Constitution state >.< That would be the most aweosme thing ever, but would be pretty much impossible for a few years (parents, you know lol) But someday, i'd love to! The two times i went, i stayed at a cottage almost at the tip of the island, and our backyard was the ocean. it was beautiful! i loved taking my bike everyday and riding it to the tip of the island for ice cream at night, and during the day riding miles in the opposite direction. Can't do that in CT! But yes, someday, we really should!!! That store sounds sooo amazing! we could spend all day there, lol!!! (it must be great to live in such a beautiful area, no matter how bad the drivers are, lol!!!:D)

20. cloie74

Maybe you should figure out why your current crabs keep dying before you get anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.