1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking To Adopt In Pittsburgh PA

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by shelbers91, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi A am looking to adopt a couple small to medium sized PP hermies to give lyla and hermie more buddies. This is a little about them and there crabitat in the hopes you find me a suitable owner :)

I am 17 and have 2 PP hermies, Lyla and Hermie in that order left to right
    [​IMG]
    They live in a 29gal tank with ecoearth coconut fiber substrate, 2 large rocks with natural caves instead of a hremie hut, and the one cave connects to the ground so they dig into and out of it. i have a plastic leafy jungle plant hanging fron the back wall. the round smoother rock it surrounded by critter moss, and behind that a row of plastic ferns arcs from there to the fresh water dish, which ahas a bubbler and a sponge.. and in front of the tank on the same side is the saline water dish with sponge crabs are able to swin and get out easily.. those are surrounded by smooth rocks to keep out dirt.. YEA RIGHT!! lolz and by the lava rock with the two caves is the food dish with crabby pellets, corn, carrots, green beans, lettuce, celery stock and leaf, apple, pineapple, and red and yellow papaya. =D oh yea.. i don't have a mister..so i spray id down like 20 times a day, and it is very humid and about 75-80 degrees F

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I have a hermie you can adopt. . . His name is Elmo. . . Please contact me if you would like to adopt him. . . I live right in Maine, so it's only a 4-5 hour drive. . .

3. shelbers91

i'm sorry, i really should have specified thati can't drive that far, 1 because of gas, and 2 because of i don't have my permit or licence yet, been working on it, but havn't had the proper or right time yet. though it would be cool to meet you! Thanks so much though, now i feel kinda bad..

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You feed crab pellets? I'd recommend you throw those out immediately (they contain preservatives shown to be lethal to crabs). Replace them with bits of cooked meat and egg every day and also offer another calcium source (eggshells are easy to get as we all have eggs in the fridge!) as I don't see any on there.

How many shells do you offer, and what water treatment stuff do you use? Those are important things for any adopters out there, because the ZooMed water treatments, or HBH salt, or basically any water treatment that is advertised for crabs doesn't make anything safe for crabs.

5. shelbers91

Oh yea! lol there is also broken eggshell in the dish, i scrape cuttlebone on the food and subsrtate as well. I only put 1 to 2 pellets in because so they can have a little oils, also i have a bit of dried krill as well. There basic diet is the fruits, veggies and some meats, about every few days or so they get scrambled eggs too. And for the water, the fresh water is filtered water and the saline water is filtered water with API aquarium pharmisuticles apropriately mixed in. i also have 10gal isolation tank, but it's with sand instead of ecoearth. moist sand ,mind you, so that they still can tunnel. I also offer 6 extra shells right now of various sizes that all have transvered into and out of multiple times. All are natural shells with smooth and or mother of pearl lining.

Any other questions?
    Please feel free to ask :)

6. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Um, if i were you, i'd just stop with the pellets all together, just to be safe! And your tank sounds awsomeeee!!!

7. shelbers91

oh ok, the'll get enough oils from chicken krill and other meats and fish right? and what do you think about brine shrimp?

~goes and takes out pellet~

8. emmac350

Mine love their dried shrimp and krill and plankton! If you're worried about oils, you can offer them a few drops of oils like olive oil (only Extra Virgin) or soybean oil or palm oil. You can give them nuts too (only the kinds found in the baking aisle of a grocery store that aren't salted) - mine LOVE walnuts for their oils. If I cook them veggies or meats in the microwave, I usually put a little oil (either soybean or EV olive oil) on the plate with the foods before I cook them so they get a bit oily.

9. shelbers91

oh ok thanks! what about raw peanuts? i know they have some oils cuz when i put my nail into them you can tell lol and sunflower seeds? also i posted this somewhere else. do they eat millets? i heard somewhere they do. and what about oats and groats? i have small parrots so i have millions of millets and oats and groats and raw peanuts. any other seed you feed your crabs please post :) i'd love to give them something new!

10. Hermies4Ever

They love nuts and seeds. . . And dried fruit!!! It is okay to feed them the nuts etc. . .

11. shelbers91

gosh now i think my hermies are gona have so much food they'ss be stuffed! lol

12. Hermies4Ever

Haha!!! I just went shopping today and bought some new substrate, hermit crab treats (coconut, papaya, etc. . .)

13. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

As far as peanuts go i think you'd be better of with the non salted ones.... I put together this huge selection of nuts and seeds. It' awesomish. I LOVE the bulk food section of my grocery store!!! It's awesome and the people there get really annoyed when I buy like 3 walnuts and 4 peanuts and 2 dried strawberries for like 10 cents.:D

14. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Veryfunny!!And true!! They all think were CRAZY :p when you go though the line.

15. shelbers91

LOL! i did mention raw peanuts i thought. But i do that in the candy section cus their bulk peanuts are roasted..

But now i HAVE to try that lol! how do they calculate it?

16. cococrisp

By the pound! :D SO they charge me like 3 cents for my 1/10 of an ounce of peanuts or whatever:)

17. emmac350

Roasted nuts are fine as long as they aren't honey roasted (sugar is added along with the honey, so it isn't safe) or salted.

18. shelbers91

yea, but my birds like the raw ones only so i try to make everyone happy :) what hapened to the topic of me looking to adopt? lolz we totally got side track, but oh well :)

19. cococrisp

Right. Try Craigslist.

20. shelbers91

Okie dokie.. like duh (to me) lol thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.