1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to adopt a female PP.

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by hermiefun, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Hello all I have 5 male PP's and i am looking for 1 or more female PP's. And any information anyone one has on breeding PP's i would be very greatfull to anyone that could help me. Thank You

2. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

Hermit crabs will not breed in captivity. sorry...

3. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

From what I understand There are no known cases of Hermit crabs breeding in captivity. Sorry. It would be so cool though. :)

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

I recently read where a webmaster and her husband witnessed breeding in their tank, in a water dish. No pictures, but will be interesting to read about results. (Can anyone replicate an ocean in their tank?)

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

YES breeding is happening in captivity - well its being worked on--there are marvelous pics at thecrabbagepatch.com---Tammy has a batch now that is about a month old--she is documenting everything in hopes to be sucessful. Her attempts are to be commended. If we can stop harvesting then it would be wonderful.

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

I guess you're looking at different information, as the Florida Marine Research states that there are no records ever of hermies breeding, let alone hatching and surviving in captivity. I feel no guilt whatsoever over "adopting" hermies that might likely die in someone else's hands. I feel that even if it were possible to breed in captivity (considering the survival rate and years it takes to even become a micro), it would not only be outrageously expensive to buy a "high-bred", but would take the natural characteristics out of the hermie, as well as result in less homes for those already captured. Unfortunately, the trade is here to stay.
    I would sure love to see pictures of the hermit crabs reportedly mating in the tank, while two people apparently observed! That alone would make history.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

No records yet, doesn't mean it can't ever happen. Just hasn't right now.

Have you signed up as an adopter at The Crab Street Journal? They have a really extensive adoption center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.