1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Blueberry/Strawberry

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by katiekrabbie, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiekrabbie

katiekrabbie Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi:

This might be the wrong place to post this, but I am new to "crabbing" Right now I have 4 PP and 1 Ecuadorian. I currently have 2 tanks, and I am looking to add a blueberry and strawberry. Does anyone know of a "breeder" ? ( if there is such a thing in the crab world don't know if that is the right term) I currently live in Boston, MA!

Thanks..

2. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

well great to have you in the crabbing community :)

now as far as i know there has never been a recorded account of successful captive breeding of any land hermit crab species. On this site on the left hand side near the bottem you will see a square picture that says (live hermit crabs.com) click it and you can order straws/blues but be warned, idk much about blues but i have heard that straws are very difficult to maintain and keep healthy so they would take more money and more attention. Good luck on your endeavor.

3. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Hi and welcome!

Online, livehermitcrabs.com offers both straws and blues. They currently don't have blues but plan on getting some in soon. Be warned! Lhc sells you crabs with mites. You will need to isolate and bathe mite infested crabs before introducing them to your healthy crabs. It is good practice to isolate new crabs anyway from any place of purchase.

I've heard some people ordering strawberries from there local pet store. Others placed special orders with Petco as they use to offer them a few years ago. I've tried both my local pet stores and PETCO but was unsuccessful. Some Canadian crabbers find strawberries at mall kiosks.

Also, keep in mind exotic hermit crabs require higher temps (80┬░-85┬░minimum) higher humidity (80% rh) more food/special food (they love to eat and need foods high in astaxanthin) more space to climb/explore (they are more active). Some owners even provide uvb lighting to help retain red coloration.
    Hermit crabs do not breed in captivity they are wild caught, this is why they stress easily and die if their needs are not met. All hermit crabs do better with a species buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.