1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local/Organic Honey

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Aviate, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I would just like to recommend honey as an energy booster and easy to digest food for all sick crabs. Its messy, but worth it. You can mix calcium powder or spirulina or other healthy foods in it as well.
    Organic or local honey is best because generally the bees are not chemically altered and the honey is not treated by antibiotics.

2. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Never used Honey thus far, I am so scared of bugs in my tank. I had wood lice once and did not realize it until after I had done a full tank clean and put the old choya wood with the lice back in the cleaned tank, It was a nightmare. That was back in my prime, haha. Maybe i will give HONEY a try. Anyone else out there use HONEY?

Cappa

3. CrabbyGirls

CrabbyGirls Hi, I'm New Here!

I haven't tried it since I'm worried about the mess it would make but I've looked into it. I thought about feeding it to them in the container I use as a drying bin on the monthly bath day before their bath. Also I would like to have some on hand for any ill crabs.

Aviate or Gertie, is the one I want the honey that isn't actually the clear/yellow, but more of an opaque one? I was looking at the health food store & they had both kinds.

4. Gertrude Snicklegrove

Gertrude Snicklegrove Hi, I'm New Here!

The color of the honey merely reflects what type of flower the bee visited. Blackberry honey tends to be darker, white clover is more opaque, red clover is darker, etc. It just depends. Some stores and farmers markets label the honey if they are sure what the bees have eaten...others do not. Nothing to worry about.

Honey is a natural mild, anti-microbial. Thus, it is found in tact in Egyptian Mummies tombs. Raw, organic honey has trace minerals and other nutrients. It is the bees food, afterall. It is also a pure, unrefined sugar, which makes it particularly suitable for feeding sick and stressed hermit crabs. It gives them that boost that may help them recoup from what they are dealing with.

5. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

I have tried it to, I mixed it with Oats and they loved it. At first I was only going to feed it to them on the outside of the tank but when mixed with oat's it's not messy any more so I put it in the tank until the next day and it was almost gone. [​IMG]
    Sandra

6. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I had woodlice once. Lemme tell ya, it wasnt caused by honey. It was caused by wood. lol!

Seriously tho, as long as you take it out soon, it should be no harder to maintain that fresh fruit.

7. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Yes we had wood lice once ourselves. Right after i cleaned the tank and put the affected choya's back in the cleaned tank i noticed under the tank light. GEEZ, was horrible. Al though wood lice are alot less harmful & easier to get rid of then alot of other problem bugs.

Cappa

8. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

My crabs love oats so I mixed some honey and oats together...Oh boy it was a free for all...it looked like a sale at Macy's..there were more crabs than feeding dish [​IMG]wish I had a digital cam. Then they all ran around like crazy crabs...must have been the sugar high [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] LOL, sounds like it would have made a great picture!

10. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

OK [​IMG]this maybe a stupid ? but if I were trying to find organic honey in aa local store were would I look and would I have to go to a special kind of store and if so what kink?

Sorry for all the ?'s. [​IMG]

11. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Don't be sorry for the questions! We have organic honey at our local store with the peanut butter and jelly. I'm not sure about what other kind of stores to go to, I never shop anywhere else LOL.

12. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Thanks Jenny, Going today. I would think that most grocery stores would carry it. [​IMG]

Mari my crabs love oats so I'll have to try the oats and honey mixed together. Thanks that's a wonderful ideal. [​IMG]

13. EmilyisMe

EmilyisMe Hi, I'm New Here!

I use honey and my very sticky cute crabs go crazy over it! LOL after a honey eating session i try to bathe them so that they dont turn into lil walking sandcastles [​IMG]

14. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I think a bath is a good idea here too, for me!!!! Seems I make mroe mess then the crabs do [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.