1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live plants

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by BL00DYMARY, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I would really like to set up a vivarium with live plants for my crabs.. Does anyone know which plants are safe/ not safe to use in such a tank? I was told that bromilaids(sp)are safe to use, is that true?

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Hello bloodymary!
    Just want to say hello and welcome to the board!
    [​IMG]
    I am not sure of the live plants, so will refrain from posting wrong info. Sorry, have you tried a search by any chance?
    I know a lot of us are in this blizzard we are having this weekend. I am sure someone will be providing you with some answers soon though.
    I originally wanted to use live plants. I was told to go to Petco, they sell critter safe live plants. But after much reading, decided to pass on live plants because of the mites and other bugs they can bring into the crabitat.
    Too bad, as they really look much nicer and I am sure the hermies probably apprecaite them more too. [​IMG]

3. BL00DYMARY

Thanks for the welcome.
    I asked the salesperson at Petco about the plants they had on display.. she said they were safe for reptiles, but she had no idea if they were safe for hermit crabs. The guy that sells the air plants said they are safe, so I figured I'd start with a couple of them.. no soil, so I figured they'd be a safe start.

4. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Hi bloodymary,
    I was trying to think of this site last night and just remembere it.
    One of our members has posted about it and I did go and look around, nice stuff there, incl live plants!

go here

5. BL00DYMARY

WOW, that site ROCKS! Just what I was looking for, thank you so much!

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

bromeliads are safe...but the hermies will likely eat and/or destroy any live plant you put in there. I know mine would, anyway. [​IMG]

7. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I thought you might like that site, I was impressed with it too! I know I could get into trouble with my credit cards if I go there a lot !
    Now, you have to post pics when you get your live plants and new setup-- PLEASE! [​IMG]

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Oh yes! Black Jungle is a great site. I have ordered cork bark tunnels from them and the crabs love them. I also have the cork bark plaques-which make great "bridges" and climbing walls (if you adhere them to the back of the tank with aquarium sealant) Ghost wood and the Cypress (which is not the coniferous kind-Thank you Ally [​IMG] ) would also be great in the tank for the hermies since they are meant for wet/humid environments.

Plants/moss may not do well in your tank unless you have some sort of light source-just something to keep in mind when selecting plants. [​IMG]

9. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I'm going to get some of the plants for my tortoise terrarium, I think. My tort is from the Congo Basin, so it's a rainforest type of habitat that I'll be trying to create. Should be interesting.

10. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I can't wait top see pics Mary and Ally!!

11. BL00DYMARY

I have a question.. Has anyone ever used a fancy plant terrarium to house their hermit crabs? I've seen a couple That I think would be so pretty, and my husband says he can silcone them to make them water tight. I was thinking about something like This.. I know it says pets can escape, but I think with a few adaptations it could make a nice crabitat, as long as there is sufficient room to make the substrate deep enough. Has anyone ever tried to use one of these? If so what problems did you run into, and what suggestions do you have for modification?

12. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

that would be one beautiful crabbitat.
    [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Lol, sorry didnt realize I wasnt signed in till just now... Something that I was wanting to ask, has anyone ever thought about planting grass seed in the crabitat? I've been thinking about this for some time but I'm unsure of what kind of grass seed I would plant. Also would canary seed be useable? I want to give my crabs something more to do, and since they will eat/ tear up the plants, grass sounds like an idea to me, because its inexpensive and would be easy to take care of. Any other opinions???
    Jess

14. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I've thought of that, too. I have grass planted in my tortoise enclosure, which has a substrate of 100% EE, and the grass is growing great! I'm not sure how well it would do in my mostly-playsand crabitats though, especially without lighting. I do have lighting on my main tank, but planting anything in there would be a lesson in futility, as the straws would tear it up before it had a chance to sprout.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont think I'm going to have to worry too much about it being torn up or anything like that because for the most part, Herbie and Sherbert are really active, but you can bearly tell except for a few dimples in the sand. Ned and Ed are almost too small to tear up anything yet though. I just know that Herbie is getting bored and want to give her something more to do.

16. BL00DYMARY

I like the idea of grass.. I have had a couple of seedlings sprout from various nuts & seeds in some of their food. I'll bet the right type of seed would grow wonderfully. I did try a couple of bromelaids and they are doing great! Surprisingly, the crabs have not torn them apart, I have one attached to the top of their hollow cork bark "tree" and it is the most sought after perch in the tank & one even grew a beautiful bright red flower!

17. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Hey, does anybody know where you can buy choa (I don't think that's how you spell it) wood for my hermit, but small???

18. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Cholla wood, Like the stuff in my picture of Herbie? You can get it at just about any pet store, and if its too big, its easily cut with a saw.

19. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Yeah, that's it!!!
    Thank you very much!!!

20. BL00DYMARY

They sell smaller pieces in the bird supply section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.