1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live plants

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by Crabbybeach, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I was wondering if you have non toxic live plants in your tank? I do.

2. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

I might someday. right now, i haven't had the time to go around the area and find nursery organic grown plants. i moved near D.C and there isn't many nurserys around here to begin with. lol

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

What plants do you have in there? And how positive are you that they are non-toxic?

4. Crabbybeach

I am 100% I have the spider plant in there I think that's what it's called. Anyway I researched it it is not toxic

5. Crabbybeach

ASlo this plant is a type of Palm

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I checked into spider plant toxicity and found that it is listed as nontoxic. However cats are attracted to spider plants because, like catnip, spider plants are mildly hallucinogenic.

I sent off an IM to Julia Crab and Froggz as they are more experienced with plants.

7. Crabbybeach

OK Thanks?

8. Crabbybeach

My mom has LOTS Of experience with plants. I asked her and she said they were ok. Thanks anyway.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

I understand your mom has experience with plants, but this has to do with experience with plants and hermit crabs, which is where Julia Crab and Froggz come into play.

10. Crabbybeach

Ok well you do have a point

11. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Toxic And NonToxic Plants List Pets lists spider plants as toxic to cats. While they may not cause death, they would have to cause some issue to be listed as toxic.

There are non-toxic listings below. I suggest cross referencing those also.

Chlorophytum comosum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia also mentions a mild toxicity to the plant. It also mentions the nasa studies which would mean it's probably filtered in some contaminates already.

Hopefully the crabs will have sensed the toxcitity and not ingested any.

12. Crabbybeach

No that's not my plant in the picture. Here is my plant it's the small plant. Even though i have a big bushy plant of that now It's also known as a palm [​IMG]

13. froggz37

You may want to be a bit more positive next time. And if your going to be putting plants in the tank you need to know the latin name for the plant, not just that its a palm. There are major differences. While the parlor palm fronds in your tank may be perfectly safe, a pony tail palm, though still a palm is toxic. The plant you have is called Neanthe bella.

14. Crabbybeach

Looks more like the scientific name. The place where I got them said they were spider plants.

15. froggz37

Mislableing does happen. It even happens with pets lol. Its where alot of pre-research comes in, and tons of cross referencing to be sure of what you have and its properties. There will be some sites that will determine a plant to be safe, while others say its toxic.

It also really depends on what kind of pet your having the plant around. Hermit crabs are more sensitve than my amphibians. Amphibians also will not eat any of the plants. So I do have plants like pothos in with my amphibians that would be extreamly toxic to my crabs.

16. froggz37

An afterthought to this thread, something I missed earlier.

If the plant added to a crabs tank has been firtilized, or had any herbicides/fungicides/pesticides used on it within the past 60 days or so, it is considered toxic for crabs because of those chemicals. If you wish to have plants in the tank, repot them in a mix of coconut fiber substrate and earthworm castings if available for at least 60 days to allow chemicals used or absorbed by the plant to be dissapated from its "system". Any plant purchased in a store (possibly except pet stores) Will have chemical residues.

So, if its not an organically grown plant, its not safe right away.

17. Crabbybeach

No No it was not Fertilized. I thought of that too. Also yes I got it Origanicly from a Nurserey. They said they olny water their plants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.